Wednesday, May 5, 2010

{Recipe} Brutzel Bars

This is my go-to treat when asked to bring something to a get together. It is simple to make, makes a lot and first timers are always surprised that it's made out of saltines. I've yet to find a soul who doesn't like it. In fact at bookclub the other night, the ladies were calling it 'crack'. That's a good thing, right?  I usually have to give out the recipe and I know it by heart. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


1.Line a standard size cookie sheet with built up sides with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with non-stick spray.

2. Arrange the saltines in a single layer over the foil and set aside.  You may need to break few to completely cover the foil.


3. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup of butter and 1 cup of sugar.

4. Heat to a bubbling "brutzel" boil. 


5. As soon as it starts a bubbling boil, remove from heat and gently pour mixture over the crackers.  Try to cover all of the crackers (mine isn't looking too great here but it all worked out).


6. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven.  Remove from oven and rearrange any crackers if they have moved around.  Open up a bag of semi sweet chocolate chips and sprinkle over the crackers.

7. Spread chocolate with a knife to cover all of the crackers. You can pop it back in the warm oven to get them to melt quicker but you don't need to. Just keep spreading.
8. Cool and refrigerate for a few hours until they are hardened up.


9. Remove from fridge and break into pieces.  A helper comes in handy here.
10. Become everyone's new BFF!
Note: I usually store it in the fridge, especially during the warmer months.  This tastes like a Heath(er) Bar..only better!!  So what's your go-to easy pleasy treat for get togethers?


Pin It

6 comments:

Heather said...

They are yummy:) Petie over at Inspired Nesting makes these for all her get togethers (so glad to be her neighbor!) Is this a southern thing?? Cute play on words too.... Heath(er).

Life in Rehab said...

Easy AND it tastes like a Heath(er) Bar? You had me at chocolate. I'm in!

My go to dessert is trifle because it's so simple and spectacular at the same time. Hmmmm...sounds like a Mother's Day dessert!

Chelsea said...

Oh, sounds yummy and easy! Totally my kind of recipe. I'll have to try this out next time I have to bring something to a party! Thanks for the recipe!

Niki said...

Yummmmmmm-eeee!!! Sounds incredible! This just might be my dessert for our Mother's Day get together. If so, I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks for sharing!!!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks everybody! It is really easy. Try it.

Sunny..I just started making trifle. what's your recipe?

Heather ..I didn't know you and Petie were neighbors. Cool!!!

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Heather, forgot to answer your question...I don't know if it's a Southern thing or not. I got the recipe years ago.

h

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails