Monday, March 7, 2016

{Get Crafty} Silk Dyed Easter Eggs (with old neck ties!)

I saw this idea last year on Pinterest but I was too late to try it for Easter.  The idea of using old silk neck ties to dye eggs sounded so intriguing!  I immediately started looking for inexpensive silk ties at the thrift store.  
I found four for .99/c each and promptly put them away and forgot about them...until now!  If you want to try this technique, make sure your ties are 100% silk. You can also use any other patterned silk clothing.  You will need some white cotton material(old pillow case or dish towel works well), twist ties and white vinegar plus a large glass or enamel pot.
I created an additional step of blowing out my eggs. I like to keep my creations from year to year so they need to be empty.  The best method that I've found for emptying out the eggs is to pierce a hole with a pushpin on either side of the egg, then gently break up the yolk with a paper clip. This makes it easier to blow out the egg. After getting all of the yolk and white out of the egg, rinse well and let dry.  If you want to have hard boiled eggs, you can skip this step.
Cut up the silk fabric. The ties had a lining in them that I removed. Place an egg on a piece of silk that will wrap around it completely. The egg goes on the right side of the fabric.  Wrap tightly and secure with twist ties.
Cut a piece of the white fabric and tightly wrap that around the wrapped egg and secure with a twist tie.
Place a large pot(glass or enamel) of water on the stove, bring to a boil and add 1/2 cup of white vinegar.  Gently place the wrapped eggs in the water, keep it at a low boil and make sure the eggs are all covered with water.  I did four eggs at a time.  I had to add the steamer on top of my eggs to keep them from floating up since they were hollow.   Keep the eggs in the water for about 20 minutes.
Remove from the water with tongs.  Let cool and remove the fabric.  This is the hardest part, waiting for it to cool! I couldn't wait to see what they looked like.  Some of the ugliest ties, made the prettiest eggs.
You can reuse the silk 4-5 times.  I even tried another one with a wet piece of silk and it worked.
Here are the eggs on the ties they were dyed with.  You can see that even eggs from the same ties aren't identical.
I got 10 eggs out of my dozen. I broke one while blowing it out (dropped in the sink) and broke another after dyeing. :(  They are SO fragile.
What do you think of this egg dyeing method? I'm totally hooked and will be on the lookout for interesting patterned silk ties from now on.

Other egg crafts you might enjoy.
Let's keep in touch!


Pin It

11 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

WOW! These are amazing - I had NO IDEA you could do this! My husband used to work in Corporate America, needless to say we have piles of ties and we will be trying this soon! Thank you - beautiful eggs!

Kathy McB said...

So cool!

Jessica Pelasky said...

Oh my gosh! Such a cute idea! Love this!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Morgan Fluhler said...

I've never heard of this technique before! How cool!

Tamar SB said...

That is so cool!!!

Creations By Cindy said...

Get out of here girlfriend! This has blown this old gal out the water! I love it! Love it, love it, love it! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Kelleyn Rothaermel said...

My son found a clip for this on the internet from Martha Stewart and thought this idea was so cool. Looks like you did a great job! How fun and creative.
http://travelingbugwiththreeboys-kelleyn.blogspot.com/2016/03/17-and-eagle.html

Carla from The River said...

Very cool!
We used onion skins and nylon stockings one year. We still have the eggs. I will have to take a photo and post it on IG. My friend Judy did the eggs with us. She hosted a decorating egg party. We had to bring eggs and onion skins. ;-)

Your eggs are beautiful!
Carla

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Heather, I hope you are having a nice week! I love your pretty silk died easter eggs.
Thanks for sharing the tutorial on how to make them with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Enjoy the rest of the week.
Hugs, Julie xo

Clairejustine oxox said...

Oh wow, such a cool idea :)

Thanks for linking up..

Ida said...

Wow who would have thought old ties could be turned into gorgeous easter eggs. What a great idea and fun project. My favorite one here is the egg from the 3rd tie L-R.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails