Tuesday, April 1, 2014

{Get Crafty} Calligraphy Eggs 2.0

I tried making these calligraphy eggs last year with freezer paper and wax paper and got mixed results. The freezer paper was better but still didn't give the results I was looking for.  
My search for temporary tattoo paper was a bust (unless I wanted to order it online) but then  the kind people at Hobby Lobby showed me this product.  Rub-onz by Grafix could be used to make my own rub-on transfers. Maybe it would work?  I used my 40% off coupon and gave it a try.
 The process took a little trial and error on my part. First I printed out the words on the matte side of the transfer film. I used the same free template that I used last year printed in reverse.  Then you need to cover the design with the adhesive film (as you can see above when trying to cover the whole page with the adhesive film, it got a little messy.)
It was much easier to cut out small pieces at a time and work on them individually. Once the clear adhesive was covering the design, I used a craft stick to bond the adhesive to the design.
 Trim the design as closely as possible to avoid a halo effect of the rub on transfer film around the design. Peel away the clear adhesive film to reveal a sticky design beneath.  Apply sticky side down to the egg (I used clean blown out XL eggs).
 Gently rub top of design to bond to the egg.
 It was a lot of fun to try out the different designs.
I did a few of the wrap around words too.
 Once I got the hang of it, the process went quickly.
 I can see some of the halo effect around the wording but it doesn't bother me too much. Adhering a rub on transfer to a curved object is challenging.  I was just happy to keep the eggs in tact as I was working on them!
 I'm using them in my Easter decor in the dining room.
Here I mixed a few in with some decorated ostrich eggs that the kids made years ago.
A few have taken center stage on the buffet.
I think they're great!
Are you decorating or crafting for Easter?
Linking up with:
Tuesday To-Do
Tutorials & Tips
Alphabe-Thursday
Catch A Glimpse
Thursday Favorite Things
Creative Mondays
Seasonal Sundays
Inspire Me Tuesday
Friday Favorites
Simple & Sweet Fridays
Wow Us Wednesday
Pin It

24 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

How cute is this??? Love this. I love your Easter! I am so busy with my niece's bridal shower and wedding that I've not had the time to even do my tablescape.....Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

How great is that!! So cool. So crafty. So spring-y!

Jules said...

These turned out so cute...you did a great job!!!!!

Bliss said...

OK.... those are really cute.

Katie said...

These are great! I really like that rub on paper, it looks really interesting! And I love that you blow out the eggs so you can keep them.

I made an egg wreath + an egg garland. But I haven't shared yet because I have to re-do the garland. I was over zealous and its way way too long for our fireplace! Oops!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
Yes, we decorated for Easter. I enjoy decorating for all the seasons. I think fall is my favorite.
The boys love to decorate eggs, I am glad they still do too. :-)

Kathy McB said...

Oh these are just too cute!

Dawn said...

Fancy! I still have my Valentine wreath up. Oopsies!

Becky said...

These are awesome!! So creative :) No Easter decorations here, yet :)

carol l mckenna said...

What a creative delight and post for T ~ lovely ~ xoxo

artmusedog and carol

Ronda Waters said...

So adorable and clever! Thank you!

Morgan said...

Those eggs are beautiful! I've never seen anything like this before. I love them, they look so sophisticated.

Rose Clearfield said...

They are too adorable! Thanks for sharing.

fredamans said...

Awesome idea!

storybeader said...

that worked really well. I'd be afraid to press very hard on a egg! {:-D

Betty said...

They are adorable!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

cute!

Lmkazmierczak said...

Great results♪ Nicely done. http://lauriekazmierczak.com/this-is-my-fathers-world/

Clairejustine oxox said...

Aww these are a great idea, you are so creative :)

Thanks for sharing at the hop...

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I love it. What a great idea and so original. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Dee Lapin said...

It’s such a great idea. I love decorating Easter eggs too!

Jody and Stan said...

Love this creative idea for decorating Easter Eggs!
Would love for you to share at Simple & Sweet Fridays this week. New Follower!
Hugs,
Jody

Shawnna Silvius said...

Great idea! Your eggs are so cute and I never even knew a product like that existed. I can't wait to try out that rub-on paper. Thanks for sharing and happy Easter!

The Charm of Home said...

Oh, that is brilliant! Thanks for sharing!
Sherry

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails