Friday, March 11, 2016

{Recipe} No-Chicken Orzo Italian Wedding Soup

This soup has become a staple at my house and I've made it so often that I'm surprised I haven't posted a recipe for it yet!  It combines two of my favorite soups into a tasty tummy pleaser. The whole family loves it and it's totally vegan.  
 I've even been making it for a friend who has been recovering from a hospital stay and she loves it too.   
You won't miss the meat, I promise.



No-Chicken Orzo Italian Wedding Soup
{Ingredients}
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1/2 cup celery (sometimes I leave this out)
6 cups No-Chicken Vegetable Broth (Better Than Bouillon Brand)
1/2 cup dried orzo (or other small pasta)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp Bell's All Natural Seasoning
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp dried onion
1-2 bay leaves
Salt & Pepper to taste
Frozen meatless meatballs (I liked Trader Joe's or Ikea brand)
To make:
1)Saute onions, carrots and celery (if using) in a large pot over medium heat. You can use a little olive oil or water to saute the veggies until onions are translucent.
2)Add in the minced garlic and stir to cook, being careful not to burn it.
3)Add the broth, orzo and seasonings (except salt and pepper) and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
4)Cover and simmer on low to cook the orzo (about 15-20 minutes).
5)Once the orzo is cooked, add in the frozen meatballs (I usually add about 10-12 of them). 
6)Continue to heat on low until meatballs have been heated through.  
7)Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Adjust any other seasonings if necessary.
Enjoy this easy dinner any night of the week.  It's even better the next day!

Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Mm sounds so tasty!!

Becky said...

That looks delicious!

Carla from The River said...

Yummy, thank you. :-)
Carla

Carla from The River said...

P.S.
Pinned :-) Thank you again!
Carla

Bliss said...

I just don't know about meatless balls. I've gotten very use to mine being big and meaty. But you say I won't miss it so maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo yummy, this looks tasty :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays

Dawn Gross said...

Today would have been a great day for soup!

Morgan said...

Yummy, this is right up my alley! I love soups like this. If James or I are not feeling well I always boil some broth and put in rice, carrots and mushrooms (and seasoning). This recipe reminds me of that, but sounds heartier! I will have to make this one day.

Jessica Pelasky said...

Wow...this sounds just delicious!! :)

I would LOVE for you join and share this at my DIY and Recipes FB Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Your soup looks and sounds so good. I love this kind of soup and it's nice that the meatballs are meatless.
Thanks for sharing this recipe with us at Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails