Tuesday, March 29, 2016

{Recipe} Crock Pot Lentil Sloppy Joe's

I was never a big sloppy joe fan but when I saw Jessica from Barefoot By The Sea's recipe for Lentil Sloppy Joe's, they caught my attention!   I had some lentils in the pantry and needed to start using them up.  I have had mixed luck with cooking my own lentils but this sounded foolproof.  I also wanted to make them in the crock pot.
One reason I didn't like sloppy joe's as a kid was that they were too sweet for me. This recipe is more savory so if you like a sweeter sloppy joe, feel free to add more maple syrup and some catsup.
Crockpot Lentil Sloppy Joe's:
Ingredients:
1 cup dried lentils (red or green-I used some of both)
1 small onion, chopped
1 bell pepper(any color), chopped
1/2 cup-1 cup shredded carrots
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 (16 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1-2 TBS maple syrup
1 TBS Worcestershire sauce (vegan if making vegetarian)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1 TBS chili powder
1 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
 {3/4 cup green & 1/4 cup red)
1) Start by rinsing the lentils.
 2.) Combine all the vegetables and rinsed lentils in the slow cooker.
 3.) Add vegetable broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, maple syrup and seasonings.
4.) Stir to combine all of the ingredients.
 5.) Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
 6.) Serve on toasted whole wheat buns or bread of your choice (lettuce wraps work too!)
We had ours with homemade sweet potato chips.   So good!

*Inspired by this recipe.
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Mm sounds good!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Thanks for the shout out my friend! I appreciate it and these look delicious! Anytime I can use the ol crockpot, I'm a fan! I like your step by step version too!

Anna of the Mutton Years said...

I've never heard of sloppy joes. I'm dabbling at this this week now. Thank you

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh....I think I can smell the sloppy joes! Sounds and looks good and I have never been a big sloppy joe fan either. Thanks for sharing Heather. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I have bean soup simmering on the stove as I type, and I of course never thought of something like lentil sloppy joes. I can say this much.... not everyone is a fan of bean soup in my house, but we all like sloppy joes.

Carla from The River said...

Yummy, my youngest son loves Sloppy Joe's. I will have to try this and see what he thinks. He also is very picky...we call him the Food Critic. ;-)

Ida said...

I've never heard of using Lentils for sloppy joe's but it looks good. We do a different version of our own that isn't sweet tasting. Send me an e-mail and I'll tell you what we do.

Clairejustine oxox said...

Looks so yummy, I am so hungry now!!

Thanks for stopping by the weekend blog hop Heather :)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Heather this looks so good and I pinned to try out sometime.

Jessica Pelasky said...

Wow...how interesting!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails