Thursday, March 27, 2014

{Entertaining }Irish Night

We hosted our annual Irish night on Saturday and kept it small this year, which is what we normally do. Last year we had a much bigger one.
I did a little Irish chalk art in the kitchen.  

We were serving dinner but started with some green appetizers.
Like this cucumber shamrock from Pinterest.
I served some Dubliner Irish cheddar along with a wine soaked cheese from Trader Joe's (thanks Katie!) and paired them up with green grapes and apples. I found green tortilla chips from Late July that had a touch of lime and chili. Yum!
 I also found a cold spinach and artichoke dip at Wegman's which was green so it fit the theme.
(not picutred)
I made this Leek and Cheddar dip. Wow was it good after it baked up in the oven!   It had just a touch of Guinness in it too. I put it together the day before and baked it that night.  The above photo is before it was baked.
I used these mason jars for our 'girly green beer'  (light beer + green food coloring+ a lime wedge) for the ladies.  
The guys used these tall pilsner glasses and of course we had wine too. 
 
We even tried some Mead after dinner (a gift from last year's party).  Mead is white wine mixed with honey and herbs and where the term "honeymoon" comes from.  You can read all about it here if you're interested.   It's also believed to enhance fertility and virility. 
For such a small group I was able to set us up in the dining room and break out my good wedding china.  I used some silver chargers from Goodwill (Target brand) and my favorite green goblets from Pier 1.
I made a few flower arrangements and used the Irish themed picks that I made last year.
Slainte!
Of course things got busy and I didn't get any photos of the main course, but I made two kinds of shepherd's pie: one with ground turkey and a vegetarian one made with lentils.  For the vegetarian version, I started with this recipe and adapted it quite a bit.  Our friends brought their delicious colcannon(potatoes and scallions) and we had roasted asparagus. Miss Middle School made Irish soda bread muffins too!

For dessert I served these Guinness brownies with Bailey's icing (recipe to come!) and
  Irish potato candy.
Do you do anything special to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

How fun is that!! I love the cucumber 4 leaf clover. You look like the hostess with the mostess (-:

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Love your Irish night! Looks like you made it fun for all Heather. How fun!

Jules said...

This looks like such a good time...and all your green details were just perfect!!! The cucumber shamrock is the best! Those little brownie bites look delicious, but sadly not on my healthy eating plan...it is so hard!

camp and cottage living said...

You and daughter really know how to throw a good party, Heather!
I hope you didn't drink too much Mead-wink!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

we too celebrate St pat's day in New Zealand. Many of our New Zealanders are of Irish stock.

Becky said...

You really throw the most amazing parties! The food looks delicious, especially that dip!! We have corned beef and cabbage every year, but this year we switched it up and Mike smoked the corned beef and we made Reubens.

Katie said...

Ahhh! The wine soaked cheese! Now I am totally craving that and some Irish cheddar. Good thing I packed some pieces of cheddar as my afternoon snack today :)

The leek and cheddar dip looks delicious too. Especially with the Guinness.

And I love how you decorated the mason jars for the green beer!

Your table looks great. The china + silver chargers + green glasses are so pretty!

And that dessert looks great too!

Well...I'm off to go read the history of mead :)

Morgan said...

I always love seeing pictures from your parties! The table looks gorgeous - I love the colors you used and that you were able to use your wedding china. :) All the food looks so good and festive! Those tiny brownies are precious.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails