Wednesday, March 12, 2014

{Recipe} Vegetarian (and Vegan) Pot Pie

I think pot pie is such a yummy comfort food and I've been looking for a vegetarian version that I could make myself.  I found this recipe that's also vegan and gave it a try.  Mine was tweaked a bit from the original.

*Note: Soak 1 1/2 cups of raw cashews in hot water and a pinch of salt for 4+ hours (the longer the better).*
Preheat oven to 350F.
First you make this creamy, cashew sauce.
To make the sauce: Blend 2 cups soaked cashews(drained), 1 cup of vegetable broth, 1 TBS apple cider vinegar and salt, cayenne pepper to taste.
Prep your veggies:  I used 3/4 cup frozen peas, 1 handful of baby carrots, chopped, 1 small white potato, peeled and diced, 1/2 cup of chickpeas and 1 can of sliced mushrooms.
Add potato to a deep skillet, cover with water, bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain the water. Add some olive oil to the pan and remaining vegetables. Cook over medium heat to defrost the peas.
Pour the cashew base of the veggies.
Stir to combine and cook on high for 1-2 minutes to bring out the nutty flavor.  Pour into a baking dish and set aside.  I used a 9 inch enamel pot.
Make the biscuit crust: Combine 1 cup white flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp of lemon juice.  Mash 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil with your hands into the dry ingredients. Add water 1 TBS at a time until the dough is kneadable yet moist.  Roll out on a floured surface and knead for a few minutes then place on top of veggie mixture. 
Make a few steam vents and brush with orange juice for an egg washed look.  This gives it a nice subtle citrus flavor too.  That combined with the light coconut flavor from the crust is delish! 
 I'm positively going to be making biscuits like this again.
Bake at 350F for 40 minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes before serving.  We loved the crust and the filling was tasty but looked a little dry compared to the original recipe's photos. It was definitely worth trying though and next time I'll add more liquid to the mix.

Linking up with:
Tasty Tuesdays
Wow Us Wednesday
Friday Favorites
Skip The Housework Saturday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Saturday Night Fever
Pin It

7 comments:

Katie said...

This looks great! I usually shy away from pot pie because I don't like when I can't see if I'm eating meat or vegetables (yeah, I know, its a little weird...) But I'm fine if its all mixed up veggies! I'm excited to try this version of pot pie!

Creations By Cindy said...

I like a good homemade pot pie and of course I also make a good one! LOL! Will have to try this version. I cook for my mother/father (inloves) weekly and they love Pot pies of any kind! This will be a must try for them too! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

Drool! I need to try this cashew sauce once I am back eating nuts (my allergies flared )-: )

Love Of Quilts said...

Sound really good. I like a good pot pie myself.

Morgan said...

This is so fortuitous! I was just looking 2 days ago online for vegetarian pot pie recipes.... I was remembering how when my sister and I were little, my grandmother would babysit us and she'd make us pot pies for lunch. They smelled so delicious and we'd get so excited because she'd let us eat them outside. :)

When I finally by myself a food processor, I will be so excited to try this!

Becky said...

Okay, so I've never been a fan of pot pie because in my head I think pie would be dessert, but Mike loves it. This may be the one to try!!

Jules said...

Wow...this sounds delicious. Unfortunately, I am allergic to cashews so this would be a no no for me....but a girl can dream! :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails