Friday, March 21, 2014

{No-Sew} Faux Roman Shade

Exactly one year ago today, I posted a Simple, No-Sew Valance from a Tablecloth. I'm finally getting around to using the rest of the tablecloth fabric to make another easy, no-sew window treatment.  
Total coincidence!
The window has been 'undressed' since we took down the scalloped piece of wood that connected the two sets of cabinets here (that was back in December 2011, boy I really take my time on these projects, don't I?)
I didn't want to lose much of the natural light that we get and I didn't need the treatment to close or go up and down so this faux Roman shade was perfect.  There are many tutorials on Pinterest for making these, I used this one as my guide.
{Materials needed:}
Fabric-1 yard or so depending on your window size (my piece was probably smaller)
Stitch Witchery (the stuff of sorcerers or lazy seamstresses like me)
3 small tension rods that fit your window
Fabric scissors
Pins (optional)
Tomato Stakes (or wooden dowels) What??? I'll get to them. (optional)
Iron
First I ironed the fabric then laid it out on the kitchen table (it was much longer than the window but I wanted to make sure I liked the look of the pleated shade.)
 I pinned pleats to see how they looked and held it up to the window.
I liked!
 After measuring the distance between the windows, I cut the fabric about an inch longer than the length(I would deal with that later).  I made a channel for the curtain rod by flipping the top of the fabric over and securing with Stitch Witchery.  For more information on using Stitch Witchery, you can read this post or this one.
I put the fabric up on the first tension rod that was pushed up as high as it would go toward the ceiling.
 I installed the other two tension rods below the first one and pulled the fabric through each one to make a pleat. I pinned it again to see how it looked.  I measured one more time then made a hem with Stitch Witchery on the right hand side (where the fabric was unfinished). 
*Since this used to be a table cloth, I had two sides that were already finished, otherwise you'd have to hem all sides).*
 If I'd had more fabric, it would have been a little easier and I could have made bigger pleats but I was ok with the smaller pleats because I didn't want the shade to be too long.  After a little adjusting of the rods and the fabric I was done.
To weigh down the pleats and help keep them in place, I added tomato stakes.  I thought they'd show through the fabric but the don't.  I already had them on hand so that saved me a trip (and money) to the store to buy wooden dowels.
Here are the two No-Sew window treatments side by side. I like that they're not exactly the same but are the same fabric.  
I only had to buy the tension rods for this project so it came in under $18.
Not bad for a former Target tablecloth bought on clearance!
Linking up with:
Pin It

9 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

My kind of woman! Frugal!!! Love it. I need to redo my kitchen curtains too. I do not have but two windows in my kitchen and struggle for good lighting in there as it is. This might be something I need to do! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I'm a sorcerer too.

Carla from The River said...

Looks great. I love your creativity.

Becky said...

Wow, this is awesome! I love the fabric and love it even more that it's no sew!! I love using table cloths for window treatments, and any other pre-made, pre-hemmed fabric :) beautiful job Heather!!

Morgan said...

I love this! And the pop of yellow is precious. :) You are handy!

LeeLee W said...

So cute and such a great quick tutorial! I've seen things like this before but yours seems by far the easiest! I will definitely by trying this. Thanks for sharing!
Saying hi from Make it pretty monday!
leelee@ paperbagstyling

Katie said...

This is awesome! I love the pattern on that table cloth and I especially love that it is no sew! I was thinking of not doing curtains in our house, but now I really want them...so I know what my over break project is going to be!

Ronda Waters said...

These are beautiful! Thanks for the tutorial... I need no sew options! :) Stopping in from the Inspire Me Tuesday link up!

Danielle Miller said...

Since I do not sew - I love a good no-sew project. I think I can do this! Thanks so much for linking this up to the Friday Frenzy!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails