Tuesday, March 18, 2014

{Recipe} Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust

I think by now you know I'm obsessed with spaghetti squash.   Here's another recipe to fuel my squashy obsession.  This pizza crust is low calorie and low carb but I just think it's good!
Prepare the squash:
Cook 1 medium spaghetti squash. I microwaved mine (after piercing the skin a few times with a knife) for about 10-12  minutes until rind is tender.  Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds when cool enough to handle.
Use a fork to pull out the spaghetti squash strands.  Drain strands in a colander to remove as much moisture as possible. Push down with a fork to keep removing the liquid. I also used paper towels to remove even more excess liquid.  Less liquid=better pizza crust consistency.
Mix up the crust:
{Ingredients}
3 cups cooked spaghetti squash, well drained (see above)
1 beaten egg
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1/2 cup part skim mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped (I used dry, so much less)
2 TBS Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
Mix all of this up in a bowl.
Press out onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. (I sprayed the paper with cooking spray).
It doesn't roll out like pizza crust so keep pressing out to form a crust.
Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes until crust sets and begins to get crusty on the edges.
Remove from oven and add your toppings.
My daughter and I usually split the pizza, she had tomato sauce, pesto and cheese. 
I had vegan pepperoni, sauce and cheese. Pop it back in the oven to melt the cheese and warm the toppings.
We also made this another time with sauteed red peppers and onions (and I added vegan sausage and cheese to mine).
The entire pizza crust only has 350 calories, so depending on your toppings and hunger level, you could eat the whole thing for a hearty meal or split it like we do and have it with a salad or side.
Disclaimer: It's not a crispy as traditional pizza crust but it still gives you the pizza flavors. It's so good!
Linking up with:
Tasty Tuesdays
Wow Us Wednesday
Alphabe-Thursday
Friday Favorites
Skip The Housework Saturday
Make It Pretty Monday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Inspire Me Tuesday
Remodelaholic
Pin It

15 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I need to try the nuking method for cooking squash...the hacking it open, boiling, and too hot to touch method is getting old!

Katie said...

This looks delicious - and really cuts down on the points value I bet!

I like the method of cooking the squash in the microwave. I'm usually reluctant to use spaghetti squash because cooking it seems like it takes a long time. But that microwave trick sounds easy!

Bliss said...

Pinned.

Debbiedoos said...

Now that is good stuff right there, and so healthy!

Carla from The River said...

A great idea. We enjoy spaghetti squash, I will have to try this.

Becky said...

This looks awesome!! Pinning this one!!

Jules said...

This sounds really good....and a not healthy eating buster. Must try this!

Cathy Kennedy said...

Now this is very inteResting! I have neveR heaRd of such a thing befoRe now. Thanks foR the intRoduction! Nice linking up with you via the classRoom! ;)

fredamans said...

Interesting take on pizza!

storybeader said...

it looks delicious! I've never seen it before - it should be in someone's restaurant! {:-Deb

Betty said...

I think I might enjoy something like that, but I'm afraid I'd be the only one here. I've always wanted to try spaghetti quash.

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a great idea? genius!

Rachael Yerkes said...

This looks wonderful. I'm going to try this for dinner tomorrow (it's 11 pm now). Thanks for sharing at Linda's Coastal Charm link party!

edenhills said...

I would have never thought of something like that with spaghetti squash, but it does look good!

Jenny said...

I love this idea, Heather!

I think it would be fun to do a modified eggplant parm like this, too!

Thanks for a really delicious link for the letter "R".

Sorry I've been absent.

I'm working on visiting a few blogs a day again and I'm glad one of them was yours!

A+

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails