Tuesday, March 4, 2014

{Recipe} Dried Chickpea Hummus

While looking up hummus recipes, I found a few that used dried chickpeas rather than canned.   There was a lot of debate over which kind made the best hummus.
I decided to try the dried chickpea method.  Dried beans may sound like a lot of work but I used this recipe that uses the crock pot to soak/cook the chickpeas.    Many of the recipes called for soaking the chickpeas overnight and then cooking them the next day.  My method was much easier/quicker.
To a 2 1/2 quart slow cooker, add 1 pound of dried chickpeas, 7 cups of water and 1/4 tsp. of baking soda. Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8-9 hours). I did the 4 hour method.  After 4 hours they will look like this. Drain the chickpeas.  At this point, you might want to save/freeze some of the chickpeas because this recipe makes a lot of hummus.
Add the chickpeas, 2 cloves of garlic and 1 1/2 tsp of Kosher salt to the bowl of food processor.  Process for 15-20 seconds. We had to gradually add all of the chickpeas.  Keep scraping down the sides of the food processor. 
Add 5 TBS of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1/4 cup of water. Process. Add 1/3 cup of tahini. Keep processing until smooth.  Scrape down the sides.
With the processor running, drizzle in 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil .
Transfer the hummus to a container for storage.  Keep refrigerated.
To serve, drizzle some more olive oil and enjoy with pita bread or veggies.
Pin It

7 comments:

Tamar SB said...

How cool to use the crock pot - wicked!

Kathy McB said...

Never thought of using a crockpot for dried beans. Since humus is one of my fav go to snacks..will DEF try this. Thanks for sharing!

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love me some hummas and I will try this recipe! Made it once before too but have not tried the dried beans! Thanks foe sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Morgan said...

I love love love hummus, but shamefully have never made it myself. I don't own a food processor. :( I need to get one, but don't want to buy a dud.

Becky said...

Have you made hummus with canned chickpeas before? Just wondering which YOU thought was better :) We have only made it with the canned. This looks yummy!!

Katie said...

This looks delicious! And I love that you use the crock pot for it!

I've never made my own hummus before. I just always buy the Trader Joe's kind :) But this looks easy enough that I can do it!

Jules said...

This looks delish, but I recently found Engine 2 Cilantro and Jalapeno hummus at Whole Foods and I am hooked! It is worth the $2.99 for me to have it ready to eat...lol!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails