Friday, February 28, 2014

{Entertaining} What a Weekend - Part 2

 Part 1 of our weekend was all about the snowy weather, scary travel and snappy Aladdin Jr performances, but Part 2 was all about celebrating College Girl's birthday!
We hosted a birthday brunch for her that Sunday.  
Brunch=mimosas to me and a mimosa bar sounds like fun, doesn't it?
I pinned a couple of ideas and used the label printables from here.
I made the banner by printing out the letters (the font is SketchRockwell) then cutting them out with a circle cutter and backing them with black card stock cut in a slightly larger circle. I cut the bunting flags out of burlap scrapbook paper, glued the circles to each flag, and then strung it all together with some twine.
I kept it simple with two kinds of juice, champagne, sparkling cider and seltzer.
The champagne glasses were purchased from Ikea for this party
Chevron straws (Hobby Lobby) are always appropriate!
The birthday girl and her her sister.
Brunch is so fun for me because I, (like Leslie Knope) love all breakfast foods.  I set up this counter as the bakery bar with mini cinnamon buns from Costco, mixed berry scones (Trader Joe's mix) and donut hole kabobs (set in a jar of dry brown rice).
We had a breakfast burrito bar with scrambled eggs (we went through this pack and then had to make more), tofu-veggie scramble, tortillas, shredded cheese, tater tots and salsa.
Yeah, I said tots!

Putting the birthday girl to work making the tofu scramble while Dad made the eggs.

We didn't want to make the eggs and tofu scramble until the last minute and then we put them in a chafing dish to keep warm on the island.  
(I'd like to be warm on an island right now myself!)
There was a fruit, yogurt and granola bar with little cups to make yogurt parfaits.
Assorted bagels and spreads were part of the 'bakery' bar and I bought this awesome Sweet Kale Vegetable Salad Kit from Costco.
Get some!
To keep things easy, I didn't make much at all beforehand (except the scones).  The snow days gave Miss Middle School time to make some desserts which was a huge help.  
She made pink velvet cake pops and Trader Joe's Blondies (thank you Katie for the tip!).
 She also made Reeses No Bake Bars in a spring form pan to serve as the (vegan) cake.
 As usual, it was a big hit.
 Miss Middle School also painted and blinged out the birthday candles for me (idea from Pinterest). Aren't they fun?
It was a sweet ending to a fantastic weekend!

Linking up with:
Design It Friday
Create Link Inspire
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Inspire Me Tuesday





Pin It

22 comments:

Jules said...

Looks like you pulled off another amazing party....what a spread! So glad that you had a wonderful weekend!

Katie said...

Happy birthday College Girl!

What an awesome party! I love all of the touches you included - like the donut holes on a stick and all of the amazing breakfast food. I'm so with you and Leslie Knope on the breakfast foods. We do breakfast for dinner at least once a week!

The mimosa bar looks amazing too! I love that!

And thank you for the shout out - you are welcome for the tip about the blondies. They are one of my favorites! Good thing we moved further away from Trader Joe's!

Clairejustine oxox said...

Aww looks like a great time, all that yummy food too :)

Carla from The River said...

Yummy! What a great party. Great ideas, thank you for sharing.
Carla

Karen said...

Wow! Looks incredible. In my opinion, there are few finer foods than tater tots....and Trader Joe's Tots are our favorite!

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
Do you do parties for a living?
I always love to see what you've come up!
Sure loved the blinged out candles Miss Middle School dressed up for her sister.

Becky said...

What a great idea for a birthday party, I absolutely love this!! Happy birthday college girl!! We've had that kale salad and it is yummy!!

Tamar SB said...

Oh my - this is so fun and so tasty looking!! I'll keep an eye out for the kale mix at Costco!!

Now, I'm hungry too (-:

Lesli Giertuga said...

Oh My Goodness - great Job
I ADORE the Mimosa Stand!!@

Lesli Giertuga said...

Oh My Goodness -
Great Job
I adore the Mimosa Stand!

Dawn said...

fun party! brunch is a great idea - mmmm mimosas!

Bliss said...

Warm on an island.... great idea, but till then I've said it before you always make your girls' birthday special, such a thoughtful momma.

Life in Rehab said...

Fantastic as always my friend. I've missed running amok through your creativity.

Morgan said...

You did such a good job with this party! I love everything about it. I'm a breakfast fan for sure, all of that food sounds sooo good! Eggs, tater tots? Yummy!

How does the birthday girl feel about her little sister getting taller than her? Hehe.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the bar and the food display looks amazing. Such fun. Good food, drink and friends. Nothing Better. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Betty said...

It looks like you're a professional party planner!

Eden House News and views said...

Interesting how you had a breakfast party was it in the morning or pm?
Looks fab

AMI nyc said...

What a great way to throw a party! Love the Mimosa bar!

EG CameraGirl said...

WOW! I like the way you celebrate!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

So anytime you feel like inviting me to one of your parties, I'd be happy to attend!

fredamans said...

Sorry I didn't make it, my invite was lost in translation...

;-)

Sarah Vanderkooy said...

What a fun party, I adore brunch. Some really great ideas here, I will be pinning.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails