Tuesday, February 4, 2014

{Explore} One Day in Pompeii & 50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic Exhibits

Over winter break we visited the Franklin Institute to see the One Day In Pompeii exhibit.
I didn't know too much about Pompeii and I found it very interesting and informative.  No photographs were allowed so I don't have any photos of the exhibit.  It is amazing how the entire city was preserved in the ash of the volcano Mt Vesuvius.  My favorite parts were the jewelry and learning about the graffiti that would be posted throughout the city for the gladiators. So cool!
I highly recommend it if you get a chance to see it.
I did get a picture of Ben Franklin when we first got to the museum. There was a light show going on that kept changing the colors of the room.
After the Pompeii exhibit we walked around a bit and I noticed there was another new exhibit called The 50 Greatest Photographs of National Geographic.
The photographs were incredible and each one had a story attached to it so we took our time touring the exhibit.
I didn't take any photos except this one of the words beneath a Sam Abell photo of cowboys that I found very striking.  His way of layering a photo with visual elements really struck me so I wanted to remember it. 
I found this video of him describing how he did it in this famous photo.
Pretty cool!

Linking up with:
Oh The Places I've Been

Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Loved this exhibit when I saw it in Boston! I miss the Franklin - one of my favorite museums!!

Jules said...

Sounds very interesting....wish this would come to my neck of the woods!

Morgan said...

I don't know much about Pompeii either. I learned a little in art history during college, but don't remember very much.

This is going to be a long comment, just warning you:
Here's what I do remember, in high school we visited Washington D.C. and got to go to Busch Gardens. I was in this huge group of about 30 people that were going to wander the park together, but about half the people wanted to ride the big rides and the rest didn't so we split up into two groups. I went with the group that wanted to ride tame rides. Sooo we walked around and found a ride called "Escape from Pompeii" It just looked like and educational ride that would go slow and kind of explain the history so we get on and at the beginning, it's fine. It's an indoor ride calmly showing what normal life was like in Pompeii. But throughout the ride, it gets faster and then fire starts shooting up on the sides and then we are completely still and the room is totally dark and then we hear screams, fire starts shooting out everywhere and then the ride speeds up and at the end these doors open up to the outside, so we're blinded by the sun and we start free-falling down and then we splash down in the bottom with water all over us.

After that, we were like, "We should have just gone with the scary-ride people!!!"

Bliss said...

It seems like forever since I went to a museum other than old cars or kid ones.

Ida said...

I bet that was a fascinating exhibit. I hate when place won't let you take photographs. I just read Morgan's comment on that ride she went on, that would have been something too!

Katie said...

I love this museum! It seems like a cool exhibit. I don't know very much about Pompeii either, except that where my family is from in Italy is near there.

Becky said...

Sounds like such a fun day!!

The Tablescaper said...

Neat place.

Great to have you at "Oh, the PLACES I've been!"

- The Tablescaper

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails