Thursday, November 7, 2013

{Entertaining}Teen Gatsby Tea Party

This one turned 14 last month.
She really wanted a "high tea" party and we checked out a local place over the summer as a possible venue.  We loved it!  The idea to make it a Great Gatsby themed tea was also tossed around and we decided to go for it! 
I mocked up the real invitations to protect her privacy, but you get the idea.   We downloaded some Gatsby type fonts and she picked the design for the background.
This was the easiest party I've ever thrown for her and I didn't even think about favors until a day or two before the party.  
I like giving the guests a little something to take home.  I bought shower gel from Bath & Body Works and they provided the bags and ribbons.   I threw in some plain and pumpkin spice Hershey kisses and added the tags (also in Gatsby font).
We had the whole tea parlor to ourselves that night.  
I got there early to take some photos.  It feels like you're in a life sized doll house!
I picked up a few photo props like this lace parasol (and matching fan). It was fun to process some of the photos into black and white. The fan and parasol were from ebay.  You might recognize her dress from here (you won't believe where we got it!).
I used this old camera as another prop.
Here's a good shot of the fan (and me and my girl).
I also have this vintage fur that belonged to my husband's great aunt.  
I tried it on before we left. It's so warm! I would never buy a fur but this is a family heirloom. I love her monogram on the lining.
With her grandma.
The table was set for the girls with mismatched tea cups and cut crystal water goblets.
Everything was ready for the arrival of the guests.
I did need to order a cake and I got this one from QVC! I've ordered their Celebration Cake before and we've loved them but the recent reviews were not very good so I took a chance with this lemon cake.    My daughter really wanted a lemon cake (Gatsby orders 12 lemon cakes for Daisy) and we just didn't have time to make one.  The description was "tender juicy lemon layers and lush creamy lemon mousse, tangy lemon curd and rich lemon cream cheese frosting." Oh and it's covered in mini white chocolate chips!
 A few black and white pics...
Do you like it better in color black and white? 
The owner of the tea parlor has added so many cute touches to the place. It's in a small strip mall and you'd never know once you get inside. I like the pink pearls hanging from the chandeliers.
Enjoying their tea!
Here was the 'grown ups" table.  My mother in law and a friend came to help me (we had to transport the girls back to our house after the tea).  We enjoyed our tea too.
A group shot!  
This little area was great for taking photos.
Our tea consisted of sweet potato soup, mini pastries and sandwiches, heart shaped scones with clotted cream and jam, and our own little pots of tea (that we got order from a long list).  
Then it was time for THAT cake!
It was really good...
and very lemony!
I bought sparkler candles.  It takes awhile to get them to start sparkling.
After the tea, we brought them back to our house (the hubs had transported all of their 'stuff' while we were enjoying the tea) for a sleepover. The basement was set up with snacks, drinks,  Just Dance 2014  and plenty of room for them to spread out.   They watched The Breakfast Club (be still my heart!).
Speaking of breakfast, the next morning we served fruit salad, fresh bagels and spreads, tea (or hot chocolate) and juice to some very sleepy girls.
It really was an easy party for me to throw and I think they all enjoyed something a little different!

Linking up with:
Pin It

14 comments:

Becky said...

Love, love, LOVE this!!!! We love tea parties at our house and both girls would love this place!! We have a couple of places like that here and it's always so much fun to go! I love the idea for a birthday party!! Amazing deal on the dress! I love having two girls, I've saved all of Abie's things and then let Landry choose what she wants out of out :)

Tamar SB said...

This is such a fun party! Love how it all came together so well!

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
The Tea Room was a perfect setting for a Gatsby party.
And your daughter really looks like she would fit into that era!
I do prefer the black and white photos, because it looks more authentic with that era.
Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Katie said...

The party looks amazing! You totally nailed the Gatsby theme from the invites to Miss Middle School's dress (and how nice of her sister to lend it out!) You both dressed the part perfectly!

The tea place is beautiful, I don't know if I like the pictures in black and white or color better. The black and white really captures that 20s feel, but the tea parlor is just so adorable in color!

LOVE that they watched Breakfast Club. Its one of my favorites, the poster was up in my bedroom for all of high school!

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

What a fun party theme Heather!LOVE IT! I like the black and white...looks authentically vintage. Great job!

Dawn said...

That is a great party! All the little details make it perfect!

Dina Lettre said...

What a great idea! I know they had a ball.

Bliss said...

Another great memory for your daughter. And her friends too!

Debbiedoos said...

Coolest party everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Heather. How awesome, what a neat idea.

The Artful Diva said...

great theme for a party - it's always fun to dress up!

Ida said...

What a perfect place for a Tea Party. (I loved the Great Gatsby) well the book. I haven't seen the newest movie.
I bet it was fun dressing up like that. The lemon cake sounded yummy and it looks as if everyone had a great time.

Lisa-Jane said...

I love the idea of a tea parlour! How positively dainty dahling. I want to go to one but we don't have anything like that around here.

Mama Hen said...

I love this party idea! So much fun! The pictures are fabulous! You always have the best ideas my friend! So creative! :) Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

Jules said...

What a fabulous party! Only having a boy.....I never get to have fun with any of these girly themes. You did a wonderful job and I would love to have a slice of that lemon cake about right now.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails