Friday, November 15, 2013

{Recipe} Vegetarian "Hamburger" Helper

I've made my share of boxed Cheeseburger Macaroni from Hamburger Helper over the years with ground beef and ground turkey but we haven't had it in ages. I was craving some but wanted to give it a healthier, vegetarian spin.  I tweaked this recipe for Homemade Cheeseburger Helper and was quite happy with the results.
 "Brown" the ground beef replacement (I used Trader Joe's Beefless Ground) with 1 small chopped onion until heated through and onions are translucent.
{I've also used Beefless Ground in Stuffed Zucchini Boats and Vegetarian "Beefy" Chili}
 Add in the spices: 1 tsp cornstarch, 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp pepper.
 Also add 1 cup of hot water and 2 cups of skim milk and 1 1/2 cups dry pasta of your choice (I used bow ties).  Stir to combine, bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook for about 10 minutes until pasta is al dente.  Stir occasionally.
 

Turn off heat and add 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used 2% fat cheddar).
Let stand for 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
Add a little more cheese at serving time if you like.
Cheesy, gooey comfort food!
Linking up with:
Sunday Showcase
Pin It

8 comments:

Jules said...

I admit I sometimes crave Hamburger Helper as well...this sounds like the perfect alternative!

Tamar SB said...

So creative! I wish the "meat" crumbles out there were gluten-free and soy free - would make my life easier!!

Daniel Efosa Uyi said...

hey nice post mehn. I love your style of blogging here. The way you writes reminds me of an equally interesting post that I read some time ago on Daniel Uyi's blog: Taking Life’s Scenic Route When There Seems To Be Better Options .
keep up the good work.

Regards

Mama Hen said...

Anything with cheese is always great! This looks good! I hope you have been well! Have a great weekend!

Mama Hen

Becky said...

YUM! What could be better than cheesy, gooey comfort food?

Dawn said...

That looks like a perfect meal for a dreary fall day.

Erika Lee @ A Tiny Rocket said...

what a great recipe :)

Katie said...

Gooey, cheesy comfort food is the best! This looks delicious!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails