Tuesday, November 5, 2013

{Recipe} Crock Pot Pumpkin Applesauce

I promised some new pumpkin recipes and here's a winner if you like apples and pumpkins.  
This one is totally guilt free too (no sugar added)!
 I've been making lots of applesauce lately and instead of my stovetop method, I've started using the crock pot.   It's so easy to let it the crock pot do the work and the house smells like you're baking apple pie all day.
I had some leftover canned pumpkin so I experimented and added it to the cooking apples.  The result was a darker, denser and delicious combo of two of my favorite fall flavors.
 Start by coring, peeling and quartering as many apples as you like. I try and fill the crock pot because they will cook down a lot.  I also use a variety of apples and I might throw in a pear or two if I have them.
*Sometimes I don't even peel the apples, the skin gets very soft and pretty much slips off of the apples as they cook and it doesn't really bother me.*
Add 1 cinnamon stick (or more if you like) and a good sprinkling of apple pie spice, a splash of pure vanilla extract, a dash of salt and about 1/4-1/3 cup of water (or apple cider).  I also like to add some dried or fresh orange peel (lemon works nicely too).  Add 1/2 can of pumpkin puree (optional).
Cover the crock pot and cook on low, stirring occasionally.  I usually let it cook all day and test out the apples to see if they are ready for mashing with a potato masher.  When they are soft enough, they will mash up very easily with the masher. Continue stirring and mashing until it's at your preferred consistency. You could use a stick blender to puree if you like it smoother (or wait until it cools and use a food processor).
Remove and discard the cinnamon stick before serving (or processing).
{This was a fresh cinnamon stick for picture taking purposes only.}
It's delicious served hot, cold or at room temperature. 
Linking up with:


Pin It

9 comments:

Becky said...

Oh man I can only imagine how good this smells! What a great idea to add the pumpkin!

Tamar SB said...

Never thought to add pumpkin!!!!

Jules said...

Looks....yummy! I think I really need to put a crock pot on my Christmas wish list.

Katie said...

Oh man, I'm with Becky! This sounds like it smells absolutely amazing!

What a great idea to add the pumpkin to it!

Creations By Cindy said...

I can almost smell this now! Sounds so good. Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I do love pumpkin so I'm pinning this!

Dawn said...

Love crock pot applesauce ... I need to try with the pumpkin added!

Mama Hen said...

Delicious!!!!!!!

Jen Nikolaus said...

Um, wow. I love this recipe! Yummers!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails