Thursday, January 31, 2013

{Recipe}Skinnytaste Baked Spaghetti Squash & Cheese

When I saw this recipe and read its description, I knew I had to try it.
I immediately pinned it and got the ingredients.  You can find the original recipe here.
I was making it for Miss Middle Schooler and myself so I made a few adjustments and halved it.
Speaking of halving things....
Here's my version:
Cut a spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, remove seed and bake at 375F oven until tender, about 1 hour.

Here you can see I already messed up.  Spoiler alert: It still worked!
When it's done baking, it will look like this...then the magic happens.


 Separate the strands with a fork and put into a medium bowl. Discard the shells.  Keep the oven on.
Heat 1/2 TBS each of butter and olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of chopped onions and cook about 2 minutes.  Stir in 1/8 cup of flour. Cook on low, whisking for 3-4 minutes.
Add 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of chicken (or in my case, veggie) broth.
 I use this stuff and water to make the broth.
 Turn heat up to medium high and whisk/cook for 2-3 minutes until it boils and thickens.
Season with salt and pepper.
 I used Cabot Sharp Extra Light Cheddar for this recipe.
Have you ever been to Cabot in Vermont? Fun place and all the cheese samples you can eat!
 It's a good idea to grate your cheese up while the squash is cooking. 
Remove pan from heat when the sauce is smooth and thick.  Add 4 ounces of grated reduced fat cheddar and stir, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Add the cooked spaghetti squash and 2 cups of raw baby spinach.
 Pour into a baking dish and sprinkle with 2 TBS of grated parmesan cheese.
 Bake until bubbly for 25-30 minutes.
 This makes about  3 1/2 cups. Each one cup serving has 5 Points Plus.
 Cheesy, comforting...
yummy and guilt free!

Pin It

3 comments:

Katie said...

Yum! This looks AMAZING! I will have to try this, I'm writing it down on my grocery list right now!

And Cabot in Vermont sounds so cool. I always buy their cheeses, but all you can eat cheese...that just sounds like a perfect place!

Bliss said...

I happen to have a sketti squash on the counter today, might just whip this up as my lunch. I love anything with parm.

Bliss

Morgan said...

This sounds awesome! I'm coming over for dinner next time you make it ;)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails