Friday, February 1, 2013

YHL Macklemore Thrift Shop Challenge

They put out the challenge.
By they, I mean the Youngsters over at Young House Love.
By challenge, I mean this:
Here's the {clean version} song that inspired it all.
I dare you to listen to it and not have it stuck in your head for days!
Taking up the challenge with me is:
HER
(she's also a big YHL fan, especially of Clara and Burger).

Our Mission:
1) Get $20 in our pocket
check
2) Get to a thrift shop and pop some tags (I think that means, buy some stuff)
check
3) Find and photograph item(s) from the song.
House slippers
check


4)See what you can find for $20 and share your spoils on your blog.
check
(the sweaters above did not make it into our cart but I thought they were fun)
When I go thrifting, I usually end up with a mix of house ware items and clothing items.  This time I didn't find any house ware items that I liked except this gorgeous set of china.
Womp, womp, womp...
WAYYYY over our budget.
We decided to split up and each spend our own $20.
I only ended up with this sweater and a GAP t-shirt (not shown).
The girl ended up with a lot more!
She found 3 dresses(one from Banana Republic) and a sweater.
Me=$8
Her=$21
Meh, so it wasn't exactly $20 for either of us but part of the challenge was not just buy anything to hit the $20 mark but spend wisely and I think we did that.
 

On our way home, guess what came on the radio??
It was kind of cosmic.
Two happy thrifters!

She put together a little fashion show of her dresses (we didn't get any in her sweater..but I'll keep you posted).
Now if you'll excuse me... I have some other challenging things to attend to.
Happy Friday!


Linking up with:















Pin It

18 comments:

Monica said...

How fun! I went thrift store shopping this week and spent way too much! I couldn't help it though - I got excited when I saw the "50% off all clothes" sign! I love that more and more people are shopping at thrift stores these days!

Jules said...

What a fun challenge. Your daughter did great with her $20 (ok, $21). I see so many people come up with such great treasures from thrifting, maybe I should seriously consider it. Have a great weekend!

Katie said...

This is so fun! I love the dresses that your daughter got!

I couldn't listen to the song because I am on my work computer :( But I will try on my home computer (and get it stuck in AJ's head too!)

That stinks that the china was out of the budget, but it is awesome that the song came on in the car!

Gabriella @ Our Life In Action said...

Great finds! Love the fashion shoot at the end. :-)

Bliss said...

I know I've been blogging too much when a song gets by me. I've never heard of it, I'm out of the thrifting loop!

Bliss

Mel Mac said...

Oh what fun! I've never heard that song but will listen when I get home.

What a fabulous way for you two to get in some "girl time".

Debbiedoo's said...

Ok now that was fun Heather. You girls done good and rocked out a fun day!

Karen said...

One of these days I am going to run in to you! I believe that is my local Goodwill. What a fun, and relatively inexpensive, girls day out!

Pam~ Virginia Retro said...

Hi, I'm visiting from Seasonal Sundays. Love your post! She looks so adorable in her new outfits ~ Score!!!

Looks like a fun challenge. :)

Nici @ Posed Perfection said...

Looks like y'all had a blast with the challenge. I'm your newest GFC follower. Just wanted to thank you for stopping by Posed Perfection and leaving me a sweet comment about the Sweetheart Cinnamon Rolls. I appreciate your visit and hope you'll stop by again soon and maybe even follow me back. Have a great week!
Blessings,
Nici

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Now that a heck of a "come up" that you put together. Well done! :)

Marigene said...

It is such a blast scouting thrift stores, you never know what you will find...some days, not a thing, other days, more than you really need!

The Tablescaper said...

Looks like fun.

- The Tablescaper

Countrified Hicks said...

Neat post. I would love for you to come over to my blog hop and share this and other posts there!
http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/02/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-blog-hop.html

Nancy Claeys said...

I love thrift shopping but I'm trying to declutter, so it's a battle. Love your finds!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I found you on Katie's Blog Hop and I am a style ambassador for Goodwill...so I just had to say GREAT JOB LADIES!!!

Katie Adams said...

I love this! I have never seen this before. I love to shop at goodwill. You never know what treasures you are going to find. I have featured you with this weeks Blog Stalking Thursday! I would love for you to stop by and grab a button.

Morgan said...

WHAT! I can't believe the song came on when you were on the way home, lol! That's amazing.

I love the dresses she picked up! Totally worth it.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails