Thursday, January 3, 2013

No-Sew Hemming Ikea Curtains

Remember when we got these new curtains a few weeks ago from Ikea?
They started out looking like this (even after two hot washes and dryings).
Since they didn't shrink at all enough I had to hem them (darn).
Here's what I needed to hem them:
Iron & Ironing board
Measuring Tape
Straight Pins
Chalk
 Heavy Duty Fusible Tape
Yard Stick 
Courage
 I put the curtains on their rods and decided where I wanted them to hit the floor.  I put a few straight pins in the panel where I wanted the hem line to be and measured the distance to the bottom of the panel.
Then I popped it up onto the ironing board and flipped it over to the back side of the fabric. I transferred the measurement to the back of the fabric with chalk and the yard stick.
Instead of making one deep hem (or cutting any of the fabric in case I messed up), I ironed the fabric up to the line, making a straight edged fold.  Then I unfolded it and doubled it up so the hem was about 4 1/2 inches total (just doubled up in thickness).
I used the chalk and yard stick for measuring and marking on the back side of the fabric.
The fusible tape made it easy to hem the curtains. I made an initial hem with half of the fabric then folded it up again for the finished hem and closed off the ends. I think it looks neater when they are fused shut.
I repeated the process with the other panels.  There were a few tears and curses along the way but I'm fairly happy with how they turned out.
Pin It

12 comments:

Katie said...

I love how the curtains turned out!

That fusible hem stuff is fabulous. I don't think I'm going to sew anything again (except my scrapbook layouts...they're fun to sew on!)

dee dee said...

Heather,
I love them too! Great job... proud of you courage!
dee dee

SarahCate said...

O O O I Love those curtains! I so miss having an Ikea close by.
Thank goodness for fusible hem- I am sew challenged so I swear by that stuff!

Claire Justine said...

You did a great job, beautiful curtains ...

Bliss said...

I pinned this to remind me how to do it. I was impressed with your measuring skills.

Bliss

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

SO easy and i love the curtains!

Katherines Corner said...

They look great. I have never used hemming tape...I think I want to try it now. Happy New Year wishes and thank you for sharing at the hop. I hope you will stop by againsoon. I posted the new giveaway today! xo

Morgan said...

I have done the no-sew tape before and I love it. Your curtains look so good and they look professionally done! I wish mine looked as nice. :)

Anonymous said...

I feel this is among the such a lot important info
for me. And i'm satisfied reading your article. However wanna remark on some common issues, The site style is perfect, the articles is truly excellent : D. Excellent activity, cheers
Here is my site abraham Maslow\u0027s hierarchy of motives

Anonymous said...

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog loading?
I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Feel free to visit my blog post - hotmail account

Amber dorsch said...

Wow.....Great Idea.... Without cutting extra cloth from curtains and use it in properly. Really nice I will try it in my home

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
This is a great idea. Thank you for sharing it again ;-)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails