Thursday, February 23, 2012

{Recipe}Vegan Meyer Lemon Iced Cookies

What I've learned about vegan baking, is that I prefer things that are either "naturally vegan" or don't need too many vegan substitutions.  The recipe here for Lemon Bar Cookies looked perfect for my daughter's Grey & Yellow themed party---they were vegan AND yellow.
The kicker was this huge box of Meyer lemons that I found at Costco.  I'd never purchased a Meyer lemon before or cooked with one but I had heard they were the cream of the lemon crop.  The box proclaimed that they were preferred by chefs everywhere for their orangey-lemony taste.
Ingredients:
{Cookies}
6 ounces vegan margarine
1 cup  sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
{Glaze}
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
3 TBS margarine, melted
1-2 TBS lemon juice
Preheat Oven to 350 F.
Cream margarine in mixer. Add sugar, baking soda and lemon zest, blending well.  Beat in lemon juice then add the flour, mixing until the dough comes together.
Drop by spoonfuls onto a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake 5 minutes then rotate trays in oven. Bake for another 5 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
For the glaze: Mix melted margarine, confectioners sugar and just enough lemon juice to make it a glaze consistency.  The recipe said to dip the cookies but I did better with icing them with a small offset spatula.  
*Don't make the glaze until you're ready to dip/ice the cookies and they are cooled*
 I stored them in an air tight container until the party.
I think it made about 2-3 dozen cookies.
 I used the rest of the lemons to decorate the dessert buffet and for ...
 Lemon Drop Champagne Punch.
I did find one shot of this delicious cocktail.
We still had quite a few leftover lemons and my younger daughter made Meyer lemon sorbet. 
It was delish!
What's your favorite lemon recipe..love 'em, hate 'em?

Linking up with:
Pin It

11 comments:

Katie said...

I've never had a Meyer lemon, but I've heard they are supposed to be really really good. These cookies look delicious, and I'd love to know how your daughter made the sorbet, I love sorbet! I usually make homemade lemonade when we have lemons, my mom has this huge glass drink dispenser and we fill it up with lemonade and sliced lemons for parties!

Deserae said...

The cookies look so delicious....I will have to try the recipe! The party tablescape was very pretty too :o)
~Des

Texas Tea Party said...

I saw your daughter's birthday party! The recipe for the cookies sounds so tasty. I love the beautiful meyers lemons and will look for them in the produce next trip to the store. Happy Tea Party! Pam

Love It said...

you take beautiful pictures. What type/kind of camera do you use? I am thinking about buying a new one, something much better than what I have now. thanks
loveitor(dot) blogspot(dot)com

Paula Robinson said...

lovely lovely ! Have to try it of course!

Stopping by/following from WW!

XOXO
Paula

Kimberley said...

Hi there! New follower from Hop Along Friday Hop! What a neat party idea. I've never had a Meyer Lemon but I am definitely going to try making something with them now. Everything looks so yummy. Drop on by and see me if you get the chance, thanks!

Kimberley
http://davisdailydose.blogspot.com/

Cool Chic Reviews said...

Hi there!! Hopping by from a blog hop. I am your newest GFC follower. I hope that you can stop by my blog and follow me too. Thanks! Erin
http://coolchicreviews.blogspot.com

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

@Love it I use a Canon T2i camera. Thanks so much!

Lindalou said...

Love love anything lemon. Your table looks amazing. So beautiful.

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Oooo you had me at lemon!! These look tasty. The icing intrigues me too! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

Justine said...

Stopping by from the Friday Favorites Blog Hop! http://queenofsavings.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails