Monday, April 25, 2016

{Recipe} Applebee's Copycat Vegan Oriental "Chicken" Salad

Do you remember Applebee's Oriental Chicken Salad? Crispy chicken tenders with juicy mandarin orange sections, chow mein noodles and almonds on a bed of greens and veggies?? Well, it was still on the menu the last time I checked.
 I figured I could veganize it with Gardein's Crispy Tenders.  They are so good!  I baked up 4 tenders in the toaster oven and toasted some almonds at the same time.
While they were toasting I assembled the salad.  I used my favorite Kale salad blend from Costco and added cucumbers, yellow and orange peppers, shredded carrots and green onions (red cabbage would have been good too).
 Next I added some mandarin orange sections (reserving the juice).
When the tenders were done baking and the almonds were done toasting (about 15 minutes), I sliced up the tenders and chopped up the almonds.  They both went on top of the salad along with about 1/4 cup of chow mein noodles.
I found a recipe for the dressing here but I lightened it up and veganized it.
{Dressing}
1 TBS agave syrup
2-3 TBS mandarin orange juice (from can)
1 1/2 TBS rice wine vinegar
1 TBS of vegan mayonaise
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp toasted sesame oil
Add ingredients to a jar and shake to combine.
Pour over salad and enjoy! I made one for Miss High School too and she loved it.   Writing up this post is making me want to make it again, like right now!
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

8 comments:

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I remember that salad and yours looks so delicious! So fresh and full of flavor! I'm loving my salads these days and making them a meal with protein helps keep me full longer! I'm definitely going to make this! Hope you guys had a great weekend!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heather,
This salad recipe looks so good and yummy. I like that there really isn't chicken in the recipe. I will have to try this out and I pinned it.
Thanks for sharing this at Cooking and Crafting with J & J.
Julie xo

Tamar SB said...

Mmm that sounds and looks amazing! I wish there were more GF and soy free vegan fake meat options!

Carla from The River said...

Pinning...I have been pinning all of your recipes. :-)
My husband and I take turns every other week making a new recipe. This week it is my turn. I think I just found what I plan to make. :-))
Carla

Morgan Fluhler said...

That Gardein stuff is good! I love the one with lime flavor so much! This is such a cool idea. :)

Creations By Cindy said...

Ooh this looks so good! I love using rice vinegar. You always make everything look so dang tasty and of course I'm hungry...but I'm always hungry. LOL! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jessica Pelasky said...

Oh man, this sounds so tasty!

I would LOVE for you to share this with my Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Bliss said...

Pinning this tomorrow from the big computer.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails