Thursday, April 7, 2016

{Field Trip} Visiting an Indian Supermarket

I promised you guys an in depth look at an Indian supermarket and now I"m delivering.  It all started when I went searching for jackfruit in this post.  I've been hooked on the store ever since.
If you haven't been to one, I encourage you to take a peek and look around.  You can find some great deals and some new foods there (for me at least!).
Each time I go to the store, I see more things. It's a lot to take in. So many new and different items. This time, armed with my Iphone, I captured some of the magic. Warning: LOTS of photos!
The produce section is amazing and the prices are great!
In the same aisle as produce is the refrigerated and dairy section.  There was lots of yogurt and butter to pick from.  I was shopping here during Vegan Lent so I didn't try any of the dairy items.
 I found this basil seed drink fascinating...even the bottle looks fun!
There were quite a few things I'm not familiar with.
One of these days I'll try something different. This time I grabbed a head of cauliflower, a bunch of cilantro and a bag of garlic.
Drumstick?
Cutie pie green eggplants.
All kinds of chilis.
I think this is Chinese okra.
Green chana..so pretty!
Chana means chickpea so I'm thinking these are fresh green chickpeas!?
This is the other side of the produce aisle and had lots of bulk nuts and dried fruits.
Also baking goods.  Chick pea flour is great for making my Chick Pea Fries.
These golden raisins were delicious. We used them in our Irish Soda Bread.
Along the back wall of the store is the frozen food section.  I could spend a lot of time reading all of the boxes and bags.
There are frozen meals, appetizers, veggies, naan, etc.
Heading down the next aisle..snacks!
 

This Chakri looked interesting..they are spiral shaped crispy Indian rice cakes.

 

Snacks and more snacks! Where to begin?  I picked up a bag of Chana Dal (split chickpeas with spices). They are SPICY and crunchy!
Cookies, cakes and other packaged sweet treats.

This trip was the first time I noticed a bakery case full of goodies.

 

A trip to the Indian market is worth it just for the spices.  They are so inexpensive.  I bought chili powder there before but it's way too spicy for us, except in tiny amounts (it wasn't even the spiciest kind). So be warned about that. This tumeric's spiciness is right on track with what we've bought at our regular supermarket. I also picked up some Garam Masala but haven't used it yet.
Candies  and nuts, sugars..
The dried bean section is another great value area of the store.  You can stock up on every and any kind of legume here.
I went for some dried chickpeas.  Time to make some Dried Chickpea Hummus.
They had various sized jars of garlic paste and ginger paste...great for stir fries.
 

I accidentally bought this Garlic-Ginger paste instead of plain ginger paste but we are loving it.

 

The different chillis all sound good but also spicy. We tried some Carrot Chilli and it's pickled carrots in oil.  It is spicy but nice to add a little kick to your meal.
More seasonings and check out that huge bag of sugar.
There's an organic section too!
 

Lays potato chips, breads and dried rice.
A whole aisle of cooking implements.
Oil, honey and syrups.
Ganesh statues and incense.
So much stuff!
Enormous bags of flour.
Another freezer section --this one full of desserts!  I think there were two more aisles full of cleaning supplies but I didn't get down them this time.
Here was my haul from the trip.   I hope you enjoyed this visit to an Indian supermarket.  You might have one near you and not even realize it. Since I've been to this store, I've noticed two others in the same area.  I'll be checking them out next!

Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Welcome To The Weekend

Pin It

11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

That one is HUGE! There is a little Indian shop around the corner from me. I love going and browsing.

Creations By Cindy said...

WOW! What amazing produce! Looks like the prices are good there too from what I can. I would have been there all day asking, "What is this called and how do I cook it". I bet you had a field day in that store didn't you? I love it when I find a store that is unique and the prices are good! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Carla from The River said...

This was fun. I will have to look around in our larger city about 45 minutes from us. I am sure I will find one. We visited a large Asian market, that was fun. You are right, so many fresh products that I have no idea what to use them for.
;-) makes it fun.
Carla

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This place is amazing! The produce looks fresh and fantastic! So many finds! I need to see if we have one around here - Boston is a little far but I have to check! Great post!

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

I shop by my local Indian Market at least once a week! Love that the spices and veggies are unparalleled!
Come by for a visit, would love to get your thoughts on my latest design! Happy Weekend hun!

Xx-Julie

Haute Khuuture Blog

Ida said...

Wow that is totally amazing. As far as I know there is nothing like that in my area. So many different products and things to see.

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

I remember your original post a few months back. This is great! What is the karella? That was a cool photo! I think I spelled it wrong! Have a wonderful Sunday! laura {not a trophy wife}

Clairejustine oxox said...

This looks a great supermarket. Love all the different food and how cool is the pop with the seeds in! Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop..

D. Raffael said...

I've never been to Indian supermarket, But I'm always in when there's some interesting food to try!

d'star

*d'star*

Bliss said...

Try a drumstick, I need to know what it tastes like.

Morgan Fluhler said...

Wow! That place is so big! I don't think we have a store around here dedicated to just Indian food items. We do have Asian markets and stores, which I bet would have some of those things, but that place looks super cool! So many fun snacks!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails