Wednesday, May 13, 2015

{Recipe} Testing Vegan Meringue

I stumbled upon this idea on Facebook. 
 There is a Facebook group devoted to Vegan Meringue-Hits and Misses. I was intrigued by the idea of making meringue from chickpea brine (the liquid in the can of chickpeas).  On a whim I whipped some up to see if it actually worked.  I added a little bit of cream of tartar, some vanilla extract and some sugar to the liquid from one 15 ounce can of chickpeas.  I left the mixer on and came back to what looked like real egg white meringue!
Call me amazed!
 I dolloped the mixture onto parchment covered baking pans and baked at 200 F for about an hour and a half. I left them in the oven to cool (after turning it off) with the door open.
The verdict: most of them tasted and felt like 'real' meringue cookies!  They didn't puff up as high as I'd like but I think I could have whipped them longer A few of them had a different texture due to baking time and difference in sizes(but I find that when I'm making regular meringues too).  They do not taste like chickpeas at all.
 I want to experiment more with this idea so you should be seeing more vegan meringue recipes in the coming months. My goal is a vegan pavlova!!

Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Pin It

7 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

You amaze me at how you are so quick to try new things. I love that! I am way better than I used to be. Used too I was the one that ordered the same thing every single time we went out to eat. Now...I am game for trying something new. Those actually look yummy! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

No way! Sending this to my sister since my nephew is allergic to eggs!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Very cool! They look just like the "real" deal, thanks for sharing! :)

Bliss said...

Very interesting. What did you do with the chickpeas?

Carla from The River said...

Heather's Test Kitchen! bon appétit
:-))

Ida said...

Well now I've heard everything! Who would have known.

Becky said...

Ok, this is crazy cool! You just never know until you try it!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails