Monday, May 18, 2015

{Recipe} Buddha Bowls

What is a Buddha Bowl anyway? 
Urban Dictionary's definition:"(n) a bowl which is packed so much that it has a rounded 'belly' appearance on the top, much like the belly of a buddha."
 I was seeing Buddha Bowls pop up on a lot of vegan blogs and started pinning some that looked tasty. 
Here's how I make mine:
Start with a layer of greens like spinach or mixed greens.
 Add a healthy grain (hot or cold). I added quinoa here but brown rice is another good one. I usually add a warm grain because I like the contrast of hot and cold in my Buddha bowls.
 Then add some protein, this could be lentils (shown here), chick peas, beans, tofu, etc...
 Top with raw or cooked veggies (or both).
Now's the time when you can add some fun toppings like nuts and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, hemp, chia...)
Finish it off with a savory sauce: salsa, hot sauce, dressing, hummus, tahini sauce...
 Some of my variations:
{Greens, quinoa, lentils, chick peas, brussels sprouts, green beans and roasted sweet potato.}
 {Spinach, quinoa, brussels sprouts, green beans, chick peas, hemp seeds, tahini sauce.}
 {Spinach, brown rice, black beans, sauteed peppers and onions,  grape tomatoes, cheese, salsa & avocado.}
 Another one of my favorite bases is the Sweet Kale salad blend from Costco.
 {Kale Salad greens, quinoa, marinated tofu.}
{Greens, sauteed peppers and onions, raw carrots and cucumbers, tofu, hummus and black sesame seeds.}

The possibilities and combinations are endless. I keep a lot of the fixings in my fridge so a quick lunch or dinner can be assembled and everyone can customize their own bowl.
What would be your favorite combo?
Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

12 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Now I am hungry!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow Heather this looks so good and healthy. Thanks for sharing and I pinned it. This is what I need today for lunch! Enjoy your day.
Julie xo

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

This looks delicious and I love how you break it down for us! I will add it to the menu rotation next week :)

Love Of Quilts said...

I could eat ever thing you have in your bowls but the tofu.They look good.

Carol Blackburn said...

Making my mouth water. Everything looks delish!

Carla from The River said...

This looks wonderful! I am hungry too!
Great idea, thank you for sharing.
Carla

Becky said...

Yum! These all look delicious! Thought of you last night, we made vegetti :)

Creations By Cindy said...

Of course I would see this post as I am sitting here starving like marvin! Looks so good! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

carolina rico said...

oh wow!!!! you just made me soo hungry!

Bliss said...

Pinned.

Jessica Pelasky said...

This sounds SO delicious! YUM!

Thanks for joining the Cooking & Crafting with J & J Link Up! :)

Clairejustine oxox said...

These look so tasty Heather! I could just eat a bowlful :)

Thanks for linking up to Tuesday Treats blog hop

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails