Monday, May 11, 2015

{DIY} Summer Tote Bag

I know it's only spring but I'm dreaming about summer trips to the beach.
I found a basic straw tote bag at Ikea (Nipprig 2015) for $3.99.
 I wanted to add some fun colors so I started with an aqua blue acrylic paint which reminds me of the ocean. I taped a line of painters tape all the way around the bag (eye balling it) and I did two coats of paint for my first stripe.
 I tested out two different pinks but settled on the lighter pink, which makes me think of pink, sandy beaches.  This time I had to cover my blue line and tape off below where I wanted the pink line to be.
 I love the color combo!
 I made some yarn pompoms out of yarn that I had around the house.  The variegated yarn makes really pretty pompoms.
You can find oodles of pompom tutorials on line if you're not sure how to make them.
They are so fun and addicting!
 I added a braided bit of yarn to the handle of the bag to add my pompoms. I kept adding pompoms until I was happy with the placement of them and the look of the bag.
 I really can't wait to take it to the beach with me!
 It's all ready to go.....
 Who's ready to hit the beach with me?

Let's keep in touch!
Pin It

15 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

How cute! Loved how it turned out! Well in August my family and I will be spending a week at the beach together so I might just have to make me a beach bag! Happy Monday! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Emily, Our house now a home said...

That is such a cute idea! I love the idea of changing it up and adding some fun and color to the simple bag. I too am dreaming of summer. It is rainy and cold today. I need the warmth and sun, I have waited long enough!

Tamar SB said...

So easy and so fun!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow Heather you did a really great job decorating the bag for the beach. The Pom poms are a cute touch! I can't wait for the beach too!

Love Of Quilts said...

It is looking good. I don't dream of the beach anymore. I would love to the ocean again, its so far away.

Carla from The River said...

So fun. It looks great. The pom pom's are so fun and the colors are perfect.
I am ready to hit the beach too. :-)
Carla

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Super cute and beach ready! I love it! The colors you picked remind me of cotton candy, perfect for Summer :)!

Jules said...

I love how this turned out.....you did a great job!!!

Dee said...

Your beach bag is super cute. I love it. By the way, Happy Mother's Day!

Bliss said...

I got crafty today for a non blog related glue stick review. The verdict is still out if the two projects will make an appearance on my blog. Your craft however turned out good.

Becky said...

So cute! I never would have thought about painting on the straw! Canvas yes, but straw? You're so smart :)

Pam Jackson said...

Cute idea! You rocked that.

Clairejustine oxox said...

What a great idea Heather, love how it has turned out :)

Thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays..

Julie's Lifestyle said...

I love this beach bag you fixed up. Thanks for linking it to our first Cooking & Crafting with J & J party!

Jessica Pelasky said...

This is so adorable! :)

Thanks for joining the Cooking & Crafting with J & J Link Up! :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails