Thursday, May 28, 2015

{DIY} Painted Door Mat

I wasn't sure I would post this project but I do love my fresh little door mat even though it's far from perfect.
 But hey, this blog is all about "imperfect domesticity" so why not?!  I picked up this inexpensive door mat on one of my trips to Ikea.  I wasn't sure where I would use it but I knew I would.
 I made my own stencil by printing out "bonjour" on card stock in a font that I liked and then cutting it out with an X-acto knife.  
 I taped off a small box and spray painted it red, then taped off an area to paint a blue stripe. 
The first spray didn't give me enough of the red wording so I put the stencil back over and re-sprayed.
So, it's more of an abstract bonjour.  I'll know next time to make a more substantial stencil. I can always repaint it (I added a white stripe with acrylic paint too).  It has freshened up the entrance from our garage into the house and that makes me a happy camper whenever I see it!  
Perfection is so overrated!
See you back here tomorrow for Friday Favorites! I hope you'll link something up!!

Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png

Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Love this! Downside to apartment living, no real need for a mat. I have one at my back entrance since it's not carpet and, well Boston+winter+boots. But my front door I leave be.

Carla from The River said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing.
I like the colors you decided on. My favorite.

Kathy McB said...

So creative! Love it.

Love Of Quilts said...

Very nice! If only my mind could be more creative....all I do is worry.

camp and cottage living said...

I think it looks great, Heather!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Love the colors for Summer! I think it turned out really well, what a great idea!

Michelle James said...

Heather, I just love this! Alot of times the standard mats are so boring & this is anything but! The pop of red just is so welcoming. Love it! I am enjoying co-hosting this great party with you ladies! Michelle

Stephanie Watkins said...

Hi Heather! I am finally back to the blogosphere after a week of dealing with my teen's Sweet 16 party, a toddler with bronchitis, and a complete lack of sleep. I had to say that I love this rug! I wish now that I would have kept mine. The two tone look really makes the "bonjour" pop!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails