Wednesday, March 4, 2015

{Recipes} Vegan Recipe Testing

Here's a round up of a few vegan recipes that we've tried and approved of. We were testing out recipes for College Girl's birthday party and we just like to try out new vegan recipes for fun!
The Best Shredded Kale Salad really lives up to it's name.  Finely shredded kale, lemon garlic dressing, sweet dried cranberries and a pecan "parmesan" add up to a mouthwatering salad that I could not stop eating. I subbed walnuts for pecans in the topping. 
We tried Oh She Glows Ultimate Green Taco Wraps but made them into taco salads instead of wraps.  The taco "meat" is made from a mixture of lentils and walnuts that is seasoned just right and so versatile.   I made her Cashew Sour Cream for the second time and we like it better than dairy sour cream!
College Girl's favorite birthday cake used to be a decadent Flour-less Chocolate Cake (from a Susan Branch cookbook).  The recipe called for 9 eggs and lots of butter, sugar and chocolate. It was dense, oh-so-fudgey and amazing but definitely not vegan.   I found a recipe for Vegan Chocolate Decadence cake and tested it out as a possible birthday cake for her this year.  It baked up into a tiny cake but it had the dense, fudge-like texture we remembered and was made with much healthier ingredients.  I tripled the recipe and used a 9 inch spring form pan for her birthday cake (and made a ganache topping).  Vegan and non-vegan approved!

Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png

Pin It

7 comments:

Carla from The River said...

This past summer I grew Kale in our garden. We enjoyed many salads. I am drooling over the one you shared.

Creations By Cindy said...

Love a good salad and love using Kale. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Tamar SB said...

Love a good kale salad!!
The cake looks so pretty.

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I have to make that kale salad! It looks fantastic! I think it's great that you and your college girl enjoy testing these yummy recipes together, very sweet!

April Lou said...

Lentils make a delicious taco! We recently tried them ourselves! Yum

Love Of Quilts said...

The kale salad looked like it would taste out of this world...I know I could eat that and not want to stop. I am going to have to try the Cashew Sour Cream. You sure are a good mother to do all that cooking to just try them out first. I would pick one and say this will work.

Becky said...

Yum! I love kale! That dessert looks delicious too!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails