Wednesday, March 18, 2015

{Recipe} Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake

I made this cake for College Girl's party
  It's definitely a healthier spin on flourless chocolate cake and contains no dairy, eggs or refined sugar. It also has a sneaky secret ingredient; black beans!
I used this recipe but tripled the ingredients for an 8-9 inch spring form pan.

Vegan Flourless Chocolate Cake
*A high powered blender like a VitaMix is needed for this recipe. See her tips if you don't have one*
Ingredients:
1/4 cup + 2 TBS coconut oil
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips 
1 1/2 cups plain, unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained (I used regular black beans when I was testing the recipe and didn't notice a difference from the low sodium beans, I couldn't find unsalted)
1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked 4-6 hours, rinsed and drained (I softened mine in very hot (boiling) water for 10 minutes)
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup + 1 TBS honey or agave (I used agave)
1/2 cup + 1 TBS dark cocoa powder (I used regular when I tested the recipe and it was fine, but I preferred the dark cocoa powder)

1/4 cup + 2TBS coconut flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
"Tester" cake ( I baked this in a 5 inch cake pan and dusted with powdered sugar).

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease spring form pan with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder.
Combine coconut oil and chocolate chips in pan over lower heat until just softened.
Transfer slightly cooled chocolate mixture to blender and add all remaining ingredients, except baking powder.
Blend on medium-high until super smooth. Add baking powder and blend on low for 5-10 seconds.
Immediately pour mixture into prepared pan.
Bake for 45-55 minutes.
Remove cake from oven and transfer to fridge(wrap in tea towel while still warm). Let chill 4-6 hours. Run knife around edge of pan before removing.
Garnish with ganache (coconut oil and chocolate chips), chocolate shavings or powdered sugar.
Serve cold.
Keep leftovers in the fridge.
This cake does have a strong coconut flavor from the coconut flour and oil so if you're not a fan, this probably isn't the cake for you. I thought it tasted like a dark chocolate/coconut Easter egg!
It's very rich and dense and a little piece packs a lot of chocolate pow!

Did you enter my giveaway for one of these?
Sorry, this giveaway is closed!

Let's keep in touch!
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png

Pin It

6 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I've got to try one of these cakes with beans! Looks gorgeous!

Creations By Cindy said...

Well sir, never knew you could use black beans in a cake! WOW the things this old chick is still learning! LOL! I bet the birthday girl loved it too! I am still in awe over the Time Capsule! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

Oh my...YES! I will definetely giving this a try soon. Since we eat vegan a lot and my daughter is dairy free, this sounds like the perfect birthday cake - and celebration worthy itself! Riley loves chocolate so this is perfect and coconut flavor? Sounds so yummy - I do a lot of baking with coconut oil so this sounds great!

Becky said...

Black beans? Who would of thought of that?! Looks delicious!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
Black beans...wonderful! I try to add them in all I can.
Looks yummy! Chocolate Yum!

Blogger said...

3 Studies PROVE Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

This means that you actually kill fat by eating Coconut Fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails