Monday, December 1, 2014

{Recipe} No-Chicken & Dumplings

Happy Cyber Monday! Are you taking advantage of the deals out there? I plan to check them out later, but right now I've got a recipe for you.
Miss High School found this recipe and has made it a few times.  I wasn't sure I'd like dumplings but they are delicious.
 We have made it with faux chicken and also just left it out all together. It's good either way and if you want to use up your leftover turkey that would be good in this as well.
Ingredients for soup:
 2 Gardein Chk'n breasts (optional), diced
1 onion, diced
2 -3 celery stalks, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 cup of carrots, chopped
4 TBS Earth Balance vegan butter (or use regular butter if not making this vegan)
1/2 cup flour
6 cups of vegetable stock (I like Better Than Bouillon No Chicken base) 
1 bay leaf
Spices: 1 1/2 tsp tarragon,  1 tsp salt,  1/2 tsp pepper,  3 TBS cilantro,  1/2 tsp thyme to taste.
 Melt the butter, add onion and saute a few minute, add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add flour and heat, stirring until paste forms. Add stock and rest of the ingredients. Simmer and cook covered for about 30 minutes until vegetables are tender.
 Dumplings:
2 cups unbleached flour (I used half whole wheat)
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup of vegan buttermilk (add 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar to non dairy milk)
3 TBS shortening or vegan butter (coconut oil would be good here too!)
Combine dry ingredients, cut in shortening then add the buttermilk, stir to combine until dough forms a ball.
Knead dough on a floured surface until it is no longer sticky. 
 Drop spoonfuls of dough into simmering soup. Cover and cook for another 15-25 minutes.
 The dumplings expand as they cook.  I like them a little over cooked so we cook them even longer.
Spoon some out into a bowl and enjoy!
Total comfort food.
Do you follow?
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Linking up with:
Tickle My Tastebuds
Alphabe-Thursdays
Pin It

10 comments:

Tamar SB said...

That looks perfect for a cold winter's night!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I just made some Veggie Soup the other day. Dumplings will be fun to add. Thank you!!

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

My mom used to make chicken and dumplings when I was growing up, but I haven't had it since. It looks delicious, and definitely perfect for the cold winter months ahead. Thank you for sharing :-)

Becky said...

This sounds sounds delicious! We had a crock pot Mexican chicken dish last night and having a frozen soup in the crock pot tonight. That time of year... :)

Karen said...

what a great meal for the winter...must try this. Stopping by from Tickle my Tastebuds Blog Hop...have a great day.

Ginnie said...

My mom used to make chicken and dumplings when I was a kid! I'd love to try this version ... yum!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I love chicken and dumplings! What a great winter recipe...

bettyl-NZ said...

Yum! Dumplings are the best thing that ever happened to chicken!

Betty said...

A perfect winter recipe!

Jenny said...

Yum!

This looks delicious!

I just need the dumplings...who cares if it's chicken...faux or otherwise!

Thanks for a clever and delicious link for the letter C.

A+

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails