Tuesday, December 23, 2014

{Photography} Making Your Christmas LIghts Twinkle in Photos

Isn't this a fun effect?  I found a simple tutorial here for getting your Christmas lights to twinkle in photos.  
I used the kit lens that came with my Rebel 2Ti and a tripod.  Set the camera to manual (M) on the tripod. If you don't have a tripod, any stable surface should work.   The key to getting the sparkle is a very small aperture (meaning a large f-stop number) so set that as high as possible.  I set the ISO to 800.  With the high aperture setting, you need a slow shutter speed or the photo will be blurry.  I played around with the shutter speed until I got the effect I wanted.   I didn't use my remote but I did set the timer so the camera would be still when the photo was taken.  Below are the settings for the corresponding photos.  
Settings:
ISO 800
 Aperture f/29
Shutter speed 8.0
Settings:
ISO 800
Aperture f/22 
Shutter speed 8.0
Settings:
ISO 800
Aperture f/22 
Shutter speed 1.3
Settings:
ISO 800
 Aperture f/29
Shutter speed 8.0

Do you follow?
  photo pinterest-2_zps1a6f4965.png  photo instagram-2_zpse2ae75b5.png  photo facebook-2_zps1d5be0d6.png  photo twitter-1_zps27e694f2.png
Pin It

5 comments:

Tamar SB said...

So pretty!!

camp and cottage living said...

Great tips, Heather. I'll have to try this with the photos I'm receiving of the g'children.
Merry Christmas, my friend!

Carla from The River said...

Thank you for the tips.
:-)

Becky said...

So cool!!! Aren't those camera tricks amazing?

Jules said...

Love that twinkling!!!!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails