Tuesday, August 12, 2014

{Get Crafty} Succulent Cork Magnets

I've seen these wine corks-turned succulent holders around the interwebs and thought they'd be a good way to upcycle some of my wine corks.  
My succulent terrarium is still going strong so I felt pretty confident in my ability to keep these guys alive too.
Supplies needed:
old wine corks
succulent plants
sharp X-acto knife (paring knife and screwdriver also help)
soil
mini magnets
hot glue gun
  I followed the directions from here.
The trickiest part is carving out a hole in the cork.  I started by scoring a circle with the X-acto knife and then removing pieces of the cork, carefully digging down as I went.   Once you have a small hole, you can use a paring knife or flat head screwdriver to twist down into the cork and break it up.
 I went pretty slowly to keep from stabbing myself.
When the hole was deep enough for the succulent and its roots, I hot glued a tiny magnet to the cork.
 Add a little soil and the succulent to the cork and tamp down the soil around the succulent.
(I didn't need the extra soil because there was plenty in the pot that the succulents came in.)
 

Hang them wherever you've got a metal surface (like the side of my fridge).
 Or anyplace you want a little bit of green in your life.
I used some burlap scrap book paper on my magnetic chalkboard in the kitchen to show them off.
So far I've only watered them once and used a medicine dropper to give them each a few drops. Easy!

This was an inexpensive project, the magnets and plants combined, cost under $5 and I still have supplies to make a few more plus unlimited corks in my crafting arsenal.

See my other cork related craft here. Hint: It's a Pool Noodle Wine Cork Wreath.
Host your own Wine Tasting Party like this if you need a way to acquire more corks.
Pin It

22 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Wait, What!! Awesome!!

Creations By Cindy said...

Is there anything that you can't do? So cute! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Carla from The River said...

I love this idea!! Thank you for sharing. YOU ROCK!!

Becky said...

Well how cute are these? And unexpected too!

EG CameraGirl said...

What a cute idea!

carol l mckenna said...

What a great post for M and directions too ~ I love these they are so creative!

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Pam Beers. said...

This is really clever! Some of you are just so creatively talented. I'm going to try this.

fredamans said...

Magnificent idea! I am so trying these, thank you!

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Hmmm, that looks like something I can do. I already have the corks, which I've saved for some fun and easy project to come along. They would be fun to give as presents along with an eyedropper. Thank you for the idea and instructions.

http://www.take25tohollister.com/2014/08/moving-on-up-amazing-machinery.html

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

What a cute idea! love it...

Karen S. said...

Very crafty indeed!

Dawn said...

How cool are they!?!?!

Dawn
dmg314

Lmkazmierczak said...

Quirky and cute...thanks for sharing♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/mini-moon/

storybeader said...

what a great idea! I love it! They look so nice, scattered amid the notes and photos {:-D

Mama Hen said...

Super cool project! I have to try this. Thanks for sharing. You always have the best ideas on your blog my friend. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Jenny said...

This is one of the coolest ideas I've ever seen!

Wow.

Just wow.

Magically clever!

Thanks for sharing your ingenuity with us!

A+

Sandra Black said...

That's a very ingenious idea, I love the way it brings new life wherever it is placed.

{Hi Sugarplum!} said...

Um, hello adorable project!!! Love these...so stinking cute!!

The Charm of Home said...

Cute idea!

Ashley Mayes said...

Love these! Adorable and easy.. my kind of project!

Brandy Dunaway said...

This is my kind of DIY...simple and darling! Thank you so much for linking up to the Outside The Box link up party. I'm pinning this cute idea right now. Hopefully, we will see you again next Tuesday!! http://www.bddesignblog.com/2014/09/outside-box-link-up-party-2.html#more

Lara Kern said...

I love this idea! Its so simple and pretty. Thank you for sharing!

-Lara @ Methodical Living
http://methodicalliving.blogspot.com

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails