Wednesday, August 6, 2014

{Travel} Back In The New York Groove - Part 1

College Girl has been working (and living) in New York City this summer, which is great because she can easily hop on a train to come home and visit us.  
The other great thing, we can hop on the train and go visit her! 
(Unlike last year when she was in the Hamptons and a bit of a drive.)
We planned a full weekend in the city which started with an early train ride and some much needed coffee.
When we arrived, we headed over to her dorm to drop off our bags and begin our adventure.


The first stop was the  Brooklyn Flea Market also known as Brooklyn Flea.  We took the subway to Lafayette Street and walked from there (just a few blocks).  We went to the Ft. Greene Flea, which is the main location.  I've been wanting to check this out for awhile now and it didn't disappoint.  I just wish I had a big truck with me to carry home all of the treasures I wanted to buy.
This vintage boys Wrangler jean jacket looked super cute on her. The patches were straight out of the 70's.
Who doesn't need a giant pink elephant?
The next stop was a trip to Smorgasburg.   It's a spin off of the Brooklyn Flea (and in a different location).  Over 100 vendors sell packaged and prepared food and beverages along the water in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.   We had to take another subway to get there but it was SO worth it!
We did our best to do an entire loop around the place to see what was available. There was a dizzying array of choices!  It was really crowded and we saw a SUPER long line--that was for the newest NYC food craze--Ramen Burgers. Luckily we weren't interested in them so we split up and got our lunches.
College Girl and I ordered from Chickpea  & Olive. On the left is a vegan Phatty Melt sandwich and on the right is a Phatty Melt slider salad. 
The hubs was very happy with the freshly baked margarita flatbread.
Miss Soon to be in High School ordered some peanut noodles that were out of this world.
We also tried these to-die-for fries. The packaging was so smart and it came with little forks for reaching down in the bottom of the cone.  
The girls and I decided to splurge on a vegan donut for dessert.  This one was chocolate peanut butter salted caramel pretzel.  It was sweet, light and fluffy.
With all of that delicious food in our bellies, we were ready to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. We took a cab to the beginning of the bridge on the Brooklyn side.  The walk from Brooklyn to Manhattan is a relatively easy walk and I highly recommend trying it (next time we'll start in Manhattan).  You can leisurely stroll but you do have to be aware of the bikers who have their own lane (so stay out of it) and other walkers who either stop suddenly to take a photo or coming at you from the other way.
We were out of the way of other walkers in this photo.
 

The views are stunning!  On the right you could see down onto the highway which was a little scary for me.  I don't think  it shows how high up we really were.
This certainly caused a gridlock but she looked gorgeous and I can't blame her. I'm sure the photos will be stunning!
 

We were in Manhattan before we knew it and walked over to the National September 11 Memorial.  The size of the memorial pools are huge, each almost an acre. 
Of course it's a very somber spot and people were respectful and quiet as they visited the site.  The surrounding park is beautiful and I hope to get into the museum on our next visit.
My feet were screaming at this point (broken sandal + tons of walking=major blisters) and we were all ready for a break so we went to our hotel to check in and rest up a bit before our evening activities.
to be continued....
click here to see what happened next.
Pin It

18 comments:

Tamar SB said...

That food sounds AMAZING!!

Love the views on the bridge too - wow! Must do that finally!

Carla from The River said...

Fun. I am excited for part 2. :-)
You took some amazing photos.
And thank you for sharing your food with us. It always makes me hungry.

Jules said...

You always have the very best trip recaps and this one definitely did not disappoint! I have got to get back to NYC...my last trip was in 9th grade....uuugghhh

Melody Harrison said...

Looks like you all had a good time. Love the views and the foods looks yummy!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

I haven't been to NY for a long time. It looks like you had a blast!

Pam Beers. said...

I love New York too...that's why I live here.

EG CameraGirl said...

Well, I love NY too! Fun photos!

Becky said...

The Brooklyn Flea looks amazing! And the food, oh my gosh! Good thing you guys were able to do all of that walking, huh? :)

Wandering Wren said...

What an absolutely gorgeous post which reminded me of our own NY holiday to visit our college girl, shame she is now back studying in Australia as from your post there are some things we missed in NY!
Wren x

fredamans said...

Looks like a great visit, so much done in one day!

carol l mckenna said...

Great shots and wonderful family time with 'college girl' and choice for L

artmusedog and carol (A Creative Harbor)

Susan Anderson said...

What a cute daughter. Looks like you had some great fun with her, too!

I love the "think" lamp, by the way...

=)

Betty said...

I would have loved your day! Next time take me with you.

Judie said...

One of my oldest friends lives in Brooklyn. I must tell him about your post! What a great one! I thoroughly enjoyed it!!

Splendid Little Stars said...

I can't stand it! You are making me SO hungry!
Ramen Burgers?! interesting. will have to look that up. I wonder what were the ingredients of the Phatty Melt...
That looks and sounds like a super fantastic time! How lucky you are to be able to take a train there. It's been ages since I've been in New York.
Thanks for sharing!

Dawn said...

Cool flea markets. How did you not pick up that pink elephant for your front yard?!

Dawn
dmg314

Jenny said...

What a gorgeous family!

And ummm.

Not sure how you guys all stay so slim and lovely with that delicious food!

Hope your brought at least a tiny pink elephant home with you!

Thanks for a lovely link for the letter L.

A+

Julie Corbisiero said...

Hi I really loved this post you wrote up and I haven't been to the Smorgasburg yet! My family and I do want to do it and we see it every time we drive past and we say we will do it and then forget! I guess it will be something to look forward to soon. Thanks for reminding me. Take care.
Julie
Julie's Lifestyle

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails