Friday, June 1, 2012

flipflop Wine Review & Pairings

We were lucky enough to get to do a flipflop wine review recently. 


 We love wine and so do our friends so we invited them over to help us with the review.
We found these wine rating forms on line here.  They were simple and straightforward and helped us along with our 'process'.
I set up the wine tasting area out on our deck and broke out my new Crate & Barrel acrylic wine glasses.
The flipflop bottles are very pretty and I love the fun, summery labels.  I also like the screw tops..as much as I love to collect wine corks, sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about a cork screw.
We also wanted to do some food/wine pairings for our dinner. The wines we were sampling were Pinot Grigio, which goes well with seafood and vegetables, Reisling, which pairs well with spicy foods and Pinot Noir, which pairs well with heavier foods like sausage.
We got the food ready before the tasting began.
 Hubs took over the grilling duties.
He grilled up portobello mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, peppers and onions for our veggies, also shrimp and sausages.
First off was the Pinot Grigio
which we served with Shrimp on a Stick
 and Grilled Vegetables.
Reisling was next and we paired that with Spicy Thai Noodles (I'll post the recipe soon).
Then it was time for the Pinot Noir
which we paired with chicken sausage and vegan kelbasa.
We rated the wines on sight (appearance of the wine), aroma (smell or bouquet), flavor and overall impression.
We took our job very seriously!  We looked, smelled, swirled and chewed our wines.
Some of the comments for the Pinot Grigio were: dry, light, appropriately acidic, could drink this on the beach, sippable, fruity hints of apple and would be good in sangria. It scored a solid 16 out of 20.
The Reisling received these comments: sweet, sweet but not too sweet, full bodied, just a little heavy overall, like it and simple. It also scored 16 out of 20.  
The Pinot Noir did not fare as well: pleasant but not a wow, thin-tasting, seems flat, light, flabby, short aftertaste, simple and too heavy.  It only scored an 11.25 out of 20.  We were surprised that we all preferred the whites over the red (we all normally prefer reds).
The girls hung out with us and ate dinner with us (no wine for them).  My older daughter made a vegan chocolate tart for dessert.
We celebrated our friend's birthday (are we multi-taskers or what?)
We also had strawberries and cream cheese dip that our friends brought. Yummy!
Later we sat around the fire pit, enjoying the evening (and more wine).
It was a lot of fun!
 
We'll definitely do this again. 
Have you ever done a wine tasting?

Disclaimer:  I was not compensated for this review. I received the wines from Flip Flop but the opinions expressed are entirely my own (and those of my fellow reviewers).
Linking up with:
Pin It

7 comments:

Debbiedoo's said...

Life looks good Heather. Love the photos and I must try the wine. Looks great! Love the bottles too.

Katie said...

This looks like so much fun! You can definitely drink that pino grigio on the beach, because I totally have! The screw top makes that really easy.

I collect wine corks too...I'm looking for a project to do with them, I'm thinking a cork board for the kitchen, but I'm going to need to drink a lot of wine :)

Michelle said...

The food looks so good. I would buy the wine just because of the name :) x

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks like you all had a fun time! Ooh...I love the looks of that food! Have a great weekend. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

BellaVida Letty said...

A wine tasting party sounds like a great idea. I'm just like you, I choose the bottle because of it's label :)

Bliss said...

Before daughter's wedding we did a wine tasting at our house. It was a blast and we settled on the highest score to have at her wedding. However ours was a bit impromptu and all my guests got was crackers in-between to cleanse their pallet.

~Bliss~

Amy said...

Seriously those pictures make me wish I was there...everything looks delish!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails