Thursday, August 28, 2014

{Recipe} Homemade Granola - Bear Naked Protein Copycat

We like our granola around here and our favorite has been Bear Naked Protein granola but it's gotten harder to find at the stores where I shop, not to mention expensive ($4/12oz bag).
I set out on a quest to recreate it at home.
Of course there's no recipe on the back of the bag but I took the ingredient list and made my own version with  this basic granola recipe.
Bear Naked Protein Granola Copycat
Ingredients:
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup crispy rice cereal
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 TBS canola oil*
2 TBS ground flax seed meal
1/4-1/2 tsp Kosher salt(depending on how salty you like it)
1 TBS cinnamon
1 cup dried cranberries (or other dried fruit)**
Heat oven to 350F. On a rimmed baking sheet toss the oats, cereal, sunflower seeds and flax meal with the maple syrup, oil and cinnamon.  Bake 25-30 minutes, tossing once (I toss a few times) until golden brown and crispy.
Remove from oven and add dried fruit. 
Stir to combine and let cool.
Store cooled granola in an airtight container.
I usually double the recipe and use two baking sheets.  
I think it's better than the original and it's around .50/cup vs $2.66/cup!

Notes:
*Since finding out that canola oil is a GMO vegetable oil and partially hydrogenated=no bueno, I'm going to try using melted coconut oil next time (I'll keep you posted!).
**I've been using this mixture  from Costco instead of the dried cranberries. Yum!
Do you follow?
Pin It

11 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Yummy! I love granola but don't dare make it b.c i will eat it all at once!

Becky said...

You know I just bought granola yesterday, and it gets me every time with the price. Definitely going to have to try this!!

Mama Hen said...

Mmmmmmm! I am going to have to try this. I love granola! This looks yummy!
I have to see what is going on with my email. I have not really used my blog email recently.

Have a wonderful day!

Mama Hen

Ida said...

I like Granola too. It's great mixed with Yogurt for breakfast.

Katie said...

This looks great! AJ loves this type of granola for "yogurt delights" (his name for yogurt + granola + almonds + honey)

I love how easy granola is to make, because it is way too expensive at the store!

Dawn said...

That looks delicious! My mom makes homemade granola in the fall. Yummy! I love it in yogurt. Or plain. Or ...

Dawn

Clairejustine oxox said...

These look delicious, pinned as i need to try them :)

Thanks for sharing :)

Diane Ugo said...

Found this on the Creative Mondays link party. Very yum, Diane @ Mrs U Makes.

Coombe Mill said...

The maple syrup does it for me!

Coombe Mill said...

The maple syrup does it for me

Clairejustine oxox said...

Yummy, :)

Thanks again for linking up last week, pinned and featuring later on the blog hop :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails