Monday, August 25, 2014

{Recipe} Quick Strawberry Chia Seed Jam

Ch- Ch- Ch-Chia!
Now that I've got a big bag of chia seeds from Costco, I'm looking for more ways to use them apart from my new breakfast favorite- Overnight Oats.  
Chia seed jam is really quick to put together.  I followed this recipe and noted my changes.
Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups chopped strawberries
3-4 TBS of sugar (I used 2 TBS of agave)
1-2 TBS chia seeds (I used 2 TBS)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (next time I'd omit this)
To make the jam:
Add the strawberries and sweetener to a medium pot and cook on medium heat until the berries begin to sweat and get a bit watery.  Once it cooks down some, add the chia seeds and vanilla and stir well. Bring to a low boil and simmer over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
Once it has thickened, remove from heat and let cool for about 15 minutes. Pour into an airtight container and refrigerate.  (You can process the jam before storing it but I like my jam a little chunky and I don't mind the seeds).
We tried it on some saltines right away.Yum. It's also good on bread or toasted English muffins.
It should last for about 2 weeks in the fridge.
If you use chia seeds, how do you incorporate them into your diet?

Do you follow?
Pin It

8 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I love me some chia seeds - I've been working on my costco bag for ages!

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks yummy. Need some of that on a piece of toast this morning! Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Becky said...

This looks SO good and fresh too!!

Katie said...

This looks delicious!

I was just telling AJ I wanted to try to make strawberry jam to use in these little mini pie makers that I bought. You cut out the pie dough, and are supposed to put jam in the middle to make a little pocket pie. Plus, the chia seeds would make me feel less guilty about eating more than one!

Kelly said...

Great way to add some extra nutrients to your jam! I wonder if anyone has tried canning jam with chia-seeds in it? Do you have any experience with this?

Karen said...

Have you tried chia pudding? It kind of reminds me of tapioca, although you can make a chocolate version too.

Coombe Mill said...

Looks lovely, I love the big chunks of strawberry. Popping by from Creative Monday

Coombe Mill said...

Looks lovely, I love the big chunks of strawberry. Popping by from Creative Monday

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails