Wednesday, August 20, 2014

{Recipe} Overnight Oats

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with these overnight oatmeal jars. I didn't think I was going to like cold oatmeal but I was willing to give it a try for the sake of the blog.   
Sacrifices, I tell ya...
   And what was the deal with chia seeds anyway?
I used the wide mouth Mason jars that I found on this recent thrifting expedition.
 (There's another Mason jar post coming!)
The recipe is as follows:
Dump 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats into a jar (or any container with a lid). Add 1 cup of milk (I used almond milk but any kind is fine. You can also do a combination of milk and yogurt.  
*Save the blueberries for later if you want to add them (just for photo purposes at this time).*
 Stir the oats and milk together. Add 1-2 TBS of chia seeds (these things are little nutrition power houses and the key to making the overnight oats "set".  Drop in one mashed up banana and season as you like. I added a healthy dose of cinnamon and just a dash of salt.  
Stir everything together and cover.
 I found plastic lids that fit the wide mouth jars at the supermarket. Shake it up a few times and then put it in the fridge, leaving it overnight or even for a few days.
When you're ready to eat it, you can top it with: 1)more fruit 2)nuts 3)nut butters 4)whatever else you can think of. 
I think the banana makes it sweet enough so I don't add any additional sweetener, you might like it sweeter and want to add it in at this time.
 I was skeptical but I loved it! 
The chia seeds absorb a lot of the liquid and you don't even taste them.
 I don't mind eating it cold either, I thought I would but I really don't.
It can be heated up in the microwave but I'd use a bigger container for that because oatmeal can overflow when heated.
These are a great grab and go breakfast for busy mornings and keep me really filled up.

Do you follow?

Pin It

9 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

I might can handle this but without the banana! LOL! Mercy, I can smell one a mile away. Did not know what chia seeds was till now! Thanks for sharing. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Well this is new to me, but since I'm trying to eat healthier and I just discovered that I like chia seeds and almond milk...I'm giving this a try! Thank you!

Tamar SB said...

So good, right? I do steel oats overnight too - makes it easier to cook up the next day - 1 min in the microwave and voila!

Karen said...

This is my "go to" breakfast. The combinations are endless. I love having something cold and ready to go for my summer breakfasts!

Becky said...

I've seen this all over Pinterest too and wondered about them. Thanks for the review and now I might actually try it!! ;)

Carla from The River said...

Thank you for the review. :-)
This is new to me too.
Have a great rest of the week.
Carla

Dawn said...

I've always wanted to try them but was scared to try because I was worried about it being too squishy.

Mama Hen said...

I am definitely going to try this! We love Chia seeds and they are so healthy! Thanks for the recipe. By the way, I use Mason jars for everything! :)

Mama Hen

Katie said...

I have seen this too, but was afraid I'd not like cold oatmeal (I love it warm though...or piping hot!) But you've inspired me to try it out!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails