Monday, April 7, 2014

{Travel} Spring Break In The City 2014

Is it really Monday already? This weekend just flew by!  It's actually starting to feel like spring (yay!). Speaking of spring, College Girl was home for a short spring break last week and we managed to squeeze a little getaway in.
 We took the train into NYC on a rainy Saturday.
 When we got into the city, we found our hotel, stowed our bags and went out to lunch.
{The view from our hotel room (Hilton Garden Inn - Times Square).}
We did some shopping/sight seeing around Times Square and got in line at the TKTS booth (Mr Click and College Girl got in line) to get tickets for a show that night.

The other two of  us waited at the Times Square Starbucks (pretty amazing place). 
They scored our tickets and we headed back to our hotel, ready to check in and relax for a bit before dinner.
I wanted a family photo before we went back out in the rain so I propped my camera up on the bed and used the timer to take a few pics.
I tested it out on the girls first and got a few good ones of them too. 
We were celebrating College Girl's (belated) birthday and she chose Candle 79 for dinner.  
It's an organic, vegan restaurant on East 79th Street and I couldn't wait to try it!
Trying to be artsy and get all four of us in the photo.



We started with Angel's Nachos(corn chips, "mozzarella", tomatoes, guacamole, refried pinto beans,chili-grilled seitan, salsa,tofu sour cream & romaine lettuce) to share.  She couldn't remember the last time she'd had nachos (probably before becoming a vegan).
 

 Some of our entrees: on the left is the Live (Raw) Zucchini Enchiladas (cashew cheese, crunchy sprouts,avocado,cashew sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds, cucumber-jicama salad, chipotle-tomato sauce).
On the right: Chickpea Crepe(I can't find the description of this but it was loaded with delicious yumminess)!
It was all amazing and of course we had to try some of their desserts.
 We had the Cannoli (chocolate chip-vanilla cream filling, coconut ice cream, chocolate drizzle) and the Mexican Chocolate Brownie (caramelized bananas, french vanilla ice cream, candied pecans & chocolate ancho sauce). Oh my goodness, were they good!
Then we were back out in the rain (in a cab) heading to the show which was....
 Jersey Boys!!
 Singing Standing in the rain, but happy.
We loved the show, the music, their voices, the dance moves, the sets, EVERYTHING!  
 The next morning we had breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien. I love that place, we went to one on our Washington, DC trip last year too.  
Guess what?
 It wasn't raining but it was still kind of grey and cool.
We checked out of our hotel around noon and stowed our bags because we were going to the American Museum of Natural History.
 We got off at that subway station when we went to Central Park in December but didn't have time for the museum.
I didn't take that many pictures because I was enjoying it too much.
It is a huge museum and I know we didn't get to see everything but it was a good start.
It was a quick trip but another great one full of wonderful memories!
Linking up with:
Pin It

15 comments:

Jules said...

Looks like a great trip despite the rain. And that food....yummo. I think I have mentioned this before, but I am allergic to cashews, so I have to be really careful when I am in Vegetarian/vegan restaurants. I had no idea how much was made with cashews!

Katherines Corner said...

thank you for sharing your sweet ( I love the rain) spring break memory making xo

Tamar SB said...

You always have such fun trips! I am not a major fan of NYC - having spent 3 years living 30 mins away by train, but for weekend jaunts it does become fun!!

{Hi Sugarplum!} said...

Such a fun trip...and the food looks incredible!! You guys are such a cute family!! xo

Clairejustine oxox said...

Looks like a great time, we went to London a few weeks back and it rain but we still had so much fun ...

Rose Clearfield said...

It looks like a fun trip! How nice to get away, even if just for a few days. I like the artsy picture of the four of you.

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
You sure have some fantastic trips together as a family!
I think it's wonderful you are doing this with your girls before they are off with families of their own.
The food looked so delicious-makes me want to go vegan (almost)!

Creations By Cindy said...

Looks like you all had a great time even in the rain. My husband always says, "If I gotta work in the rain then I can play in the rain". LOL! Love all the pictures too! Really like how you caught that rain on the outside window.....Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bliss said...

I didn't even notice you guys in the mirror because I was so busy noticing how much your girls look a like in that photo. More than any other one I have seen. And the umbrella photo - love that one.

Katie said...

This looks like such a great trip to the city!

You got some really great family photos! I really like the "artsy" one of all four of you with the mirror, that is pretty cool!

The food all looked delicious too! And now I am totally craving nachos ;)

Carla from The River said...

Looks like a great time. I love your photos. Your artsy photo is so cool in the restaurant. FUN, FUN!

Karen said...

I don't know how many times I say this.....BUT...sometimes I really believe we are living parallel lives!! We were in NYC 2 weeks ago and stayed in that exact same hotel. Weird!! It looks like you all had a great time.

Becky said...

I alwsys love your documented trips :) such a great time, the four of you!! The food looked absolutely amazing!

Natasha In Oz said...

Oh how I wish I could just get on a train and go to somewhere like New York! You are so lucky!

Love these pics-you are such a beautiful family.

Best wishes,
Natasha in Oz

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

This looks like a fun Spring Break trip. I'd really love to go back to NYC someday and have a whole week to explore and eat. Very nice family photo -- both the one at the hotel and the one at the restaurant.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails