Thursday, April 3, 2014

{Get Organized} De-Cluttering for the Season

40 Bags in 40 Days
I read about the 40 Bags in 40 Days concept on a couple of blogs and liked the idea of trying to get rid of 40+/- bags of stuff during the 40 days of Lent.  I didn't think I'd have 40 bags since I'm pretty good about getting rid of things but any number of bags sounded good! You can read more about it here
I started in the kitchen and sorted things out into keep, donate or trash/recycle piles. I organized a cabinet that had been driving me crazy. It felt good! 
I don't de-clutter every day but I keep up with when I can.

Shred Shred Shred!
 I started going through file boxes of receipts from years ago and shredding them.
 I don't love shredding but it's great to rid of the old paperwork that I don't need to keep and reduce the amount of it we've been holding on to. 


Junk Mail

My mom told me about Catalogue Choice, for getting rid of unwanted catalogues you receive in the mail. It's easy to sign up through Facebook or your email address. You give them the information and they take it from there. 

Junk Email
I know it's a little thing but I've been unsubscribing from email solicitations I no longer want to receive. If I take a little time and just do it as they come, it will save me time in the long run and less junk email makes me happy! 



Unicef Tap Project
This one doesn't fall under de-cluttering but it was another good idea for Lent.
This was something I heard about at church.  Unfortunately it ended on March 31st but it was a great way to get people to put down their phones for at least 10 minutes a day. For every 10 minutes of not touching your phone, UNICEF would make a donation for a clean water in a country that needed it.   We were all doing it at our house and trying to see how long we could go. I would start it during my work out some days which was a win-win situation.
Linking Up With:
Thursday Favorite Things
Creative Mondays
Seasonal Sundays
Inspire Me Tuesday
Friday Favorites
Wow Us Wednesday
Catch A Glimpse
I Heart Organizing

Pin It

14 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I have been working on some de-cluttering too! I have some bags to donate and chucked a bunch out too. Feels good to donate to others and organize my space!

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing Heather! I'm going to de-clutter my mailbox and email.

Katie said...

Every time we move, we declutter. Sunday, I really wanted to get rid of some old clothes or shoes (I was switching from my winter to my summer wardrobe) but I'd gotten rid of so much when I was unpacking, that I had nothing to give away. I was kind of sad.

I really like the 40 bags/40 day idea. There are definitely some areas of the house that could use this idea!

The UNICEF water thing was pretty cool! For Lent, I gave up using my cell phone/social media when I'm with other people because it was becoming really distracting. Its been really hard, but I liked using the UNICEF app!

Morgan said...

I've been working on trying to get rid of some things around here too. I just feel so much better when there's less clutter. I still need to work on decluttering my email, haha.

Pam Jackson said...

I started to de-clutter and clean but spring got in the way! Finding I rather be out.

Jules said...

I so need to do 40 bags in 40 days...such a great idea to help declutter. The email unsubscribe would be so beneficial as well. The amount of junk mail I receive daily is just staggering and somedays it just feels overwhelming. Great tips!

Carla from The River said...

Doing the same thing! It can be overwhelming for sure.

Kathy McB said...

I've been in a declutter frenzy the past week too. Hate doing it, but love how I feel after I'm done.

Dawn said...

I have a list of areas to work on - basically the entire house. Hopefully warm weather and sunshine will inspire me to get to it!

Becky said...

I love purging and decluttering!! This is such a great idea :) Shredding is not my favorite either, but is definitely something that has to be done, right?

Leovi said...

Yes, I would have a crusher as good as that!

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
You are really getting a lot done!
I bet it feels so good.
You go girl!

Lola said...

Springtime is the best time to declutter - some great ideas here!

Many thanks for the visit too!

Clairejustine oxox said...

I am so ready for a Spring clean :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails