Thursday, January 16, 2014

{Travel} NYC Holiday Day Trip

We squeezed in a quick trip to the Big Apple over Christmas break. 
The week between Christmas and the New Year is probably the busiest time in the busiest city in the world but we were ready to face the crowds.
Waiting for our train with a much needed jolt of caffeine. 
The train station was packed as was our train into the city.
(Museum of Natural History}
 But once we got into the city, it was beautiful. We had the best weather of the week-warm(ish) and sunny.   We hopped a subway to 81st Street and exited at the Museum Of Natural History. 
{Shakespeare's Garden}
 It was so nice out, we weren't about to spend the day in a museum but I do want to go back to visit it one day.  We walked into Central Park which is always a welcome spot of calm in the city.
{Strawberry Fields}
The last time we were in New York, we didn't make it to Strawberry Fields so we made a point to go see it this time. Of course it's smaller in person than I expected.
{Central Park}
We didn't have any set itinerary, just a few places we were hoping to visit, so we took a leisurely stroll through the park.
{Daniel Webster statue}

We were going to take a cab to Rockefeller Plaza but we just kept walking because it was such a gorgeous day.
Did you know they had ice skating in Central Park? Two rinks, actually!
 

(The tree at Rockefeller Plaza}
As we got closer to Rockefeller Plaza, it got more and more crowded on the sidewalks.  We couldn't really appreciate the store displays but we were on a mission to see the tree.
And we did!
It is beautiful but it was way too crowded in the area so we grabbed a cab to one of our favorite places.
{Eataly!}
This place is really Italian food heaven. It's overwhelming and incredible.
From there we headed to Chelsea Market for lunch.
Armed with this article, we tried some of their recommendations for lunch.
The girls had the vegan, raw Taco Salad at One Lucky Duck.  It had spicy taco crumbles, pico de gallo, guacamole & cashew 'sour cream'.  It didn't even need dressing! They also tried a Bunny Brew smoothie (apple, carrot & ginger). It was SPICY!
(source)
I couldn't resist a Toasted Cheese Panini at Lucy's Whey.  I had the NY Cheddar and Butter option and it was amazing!
The hubs had some Italian specialties from Buon Italia.
We hit up Anthropologie for a little retail therapy after lunch.

{Streets of Chelsea}
After Chelsea Market we went up to the Chelsea High Line for some views and fresh air and then headed back dow to street level to travel back to Penn Station.
{Souvenirs in Penn Station} 
After a full day in the city, we were all ready to get back home.
Mission accomplished!
Pin It

17 comments:

Tamar SB said...

I just love NYC in the winter!

Pam Jackson said...

Great pics. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your pics.

camp and cottage living said...

Heather
It is my dream to visit the Big Apple someday.
I know who to talk to before I do!
It looks like you all had a fun day.

Jules said...

Looks like such a fun trip! How long does it take you to get to NYC?

Karen said...

Wow...looks like a fun and exhausting day! It's funny, my daughter had her engagement photos taken in Central Park and it looks like you were in all the same places. Such a picturesque setting! Love your photos.

Katie said...

I'm so glad you guys were able to get into the city over break!

It looks like you had a wonderful trip - and great weather!

Tracy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time.
Your lunch looks so good, but not the spicy part ;)
New York city is on my daughters list of places she wants to visit :)

Tracy said...

Sounds like a wonderful time.
Your lunch looks so good, but not the spicy part ;)
New York city is on my daughters list of places she wants to visit :)

Carla from The River said...

Fun! I love NYC too. ;-)

Debbiedoos said...

Looks perfect! I have never been ice skating in Central park, but it looks amazing and so much fun! I love NY!

tiarastantrums said...

oh - so much fun!! I adore NYC! I can't wait to take my kiddos there!

Becky said...

What a WONDERFUL day trip!!!! Great pictures too :). We love traveling with our girls.

Ida said...

Looks and sounds like you had a great time. I enjoyed viewing your photos.

Dawn said...

Fun trip! Def go to the museum! It is awesome!

Morgan said...

I've never been to NYC before! I have always wanted to go around Christmas. I hope that someday I can make it up there. What a great trip with your family :)

Parsimonious Perfection said...

Such great pics! I loved Central Park too...incredible! So nice you visited during winter, maybe we will do the same our next time around! ❤

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I ♥ NYC! You had a wonderful day of seeing the sights and were lucky to be there during good weather!

I lived in the city most of my life(Brooklyn) and moved to Colorado last year to live closer to my children and grandchildren that settled out west. Almost five years of my blog are about NYC! :)

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails