Friday, December 27, 2013

{Recipe} 15 Minute(or less)Microwave Salted Caramels

We made these to give out at Christmas but they would make a great sweet for you Valentine too.
This was my first attempt at caramels and when I found this recipe using the microwave, it seemed less daunting if I could do it all in the microwave.  
And it was!
To make one batch of caramels, you'll need:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter, plus 3 TBS for buttering the pan
1 can sweetened condensed milk(14 oz)
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
fine flake sea salt (I used French sea salt but I think Kosher would be fine)
Parchment paper 
Candy thermometer (I ended up using my digital meat thermometer because I didn't think the candy thermometer was working)

Start by buttering the sides and bottom of  pan. I used a 9 x 13 Pyrex pan.  
 Cut two sheets of parchment paper to overlap in the pan (for easier removal have the paper extend over the sides.  Place first sheet down and butter it, then layer second piece in the opposite direction and also butter that.  Basically butter every surface (except the outside of the pan).
Place butter in a  2-3 quart microwave safe bowl, microwave until just melted. Add the sugars, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk, stir well with plastic spatula. 
Step 1: Microwave for 3 minutes.
 Remove bowl from microwave and stir.
 Keep repeating the steps of microwaving for 3 minutes, removing then stirring.
 Do this until the caramel's temperature is 234 F. Mine took about 12 minutes.  
You can see the color changing as well.  
 Whisk in vanilla and pinch of salt.
 Immediately pour into prepared pan.  Tap the pan gently to remove any air bubbles.
 Allow to cool completely elevated on a wire rack. (3-4 hours)
 When the candy has cooled completely, sprinkle with sea salt and remove from pan with the parchment paper.
 Cut into pieces with a sharp knife (running the knife through a stick of butter helps!).
 I got about 60 pieces out of this batch.
 Wrap the individual caramels in wax paper squares ( I found this cute gingham wax paper at The Container store).   A good size to cut the squares is 4 x 3 inches.  Roll up, then twist the ends. 
 They would be a fabulous gift all packed up like this in a tin.
I packed them up in smaller containers and bags to give out to friends and family.  
They are very rich, soft and buttery and will melt in your mouth.

Pin It

12 comments:

Tamar SB said...

What an easy way to make them!!

camp and cottage living said...

I've got to make these to take on my next trip to see the grands!
They sell these in some of the tourist shops and I always stock up, they are so...good.

Dawn said...

Oh! I neeeeed to make these pronto!

Becky said...

I love this idea! I'm totally intimidated by making candy, but this seems like something I could do!

Bliss said...

Well I could use a quick caramel recipe.......

Jodee Weiland said...

This is a great idea and looks good! Thanks!

Jen Nikolaus said...

Um, YUM!! These would be an awesome Valentine's treat! Thanks for sharing on Saturday Night Fever, pinning now!

Katie said...

These look amazing!!! I just pinned them to my Valentine's Day board. And AJ was looking over my shoulder and said that they look so good, so I think they will be a hit here :)

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These look so good! Ok, I'm hitting my candy jar now. Nothing in there as good as these :( Thanks for linking to TTF!

Clairejustine oxox said...

Whoo these look yummy :)

Thanks for sharing at the weekend blog hop..

jody cowan said...

I'm so glad I found you on Reflextions Blog Hop! These look so very good! And not too hard even for me! So Thanks!

Cathy Compeau said...

Thank you for linking up at Tasty Tuesdays! Your post has been pinned to my Recipes from Tasty Tuesday board. I can't wait to see what you link up next week!
Have a terrific weekend!
Cathy
APeekIntoMyParadise.com
#TastyTuesdays

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails