Thursday, December 19, 2013

{Get Crafty} Upcycled Christmas Village Houses

Did you ever give an old item a new life?
These little blocks houses started out like this.  
They lived happily in the basement, welcoming all who entered.  But the cute country vibe was getting old....
They were banished to this spray painting box and sent to the garage.
Side note: It was too cold to spray paint,even in the garage but they did get a base coat of white drippy spray paint.
I then switched over to acrylic craft paints and gave them a few more coats of white paint. They each got a little green roof and lots of glitter too.  I didn't have a specific place in mind for my new village houses but I thought one would be sweet in this polar bear winter wonderland.
The others ended up over a doorway into the living room. 
 I added some fresh greens right off of our (real) tree, tea lights and some sparkly pom poms .
The tea lights were great but what a hassle to light every night for this lazy girl. 
 Not to mention, a potential fire hazard.
 I finally found battery operated tea lights with....wait for it...
 TIMERS!
{Happy Dance!}
I turned them on when I wanted them to light up and promptly forgot about them.
My kind of decorating!
Zero dollar project because I had all of the supplies on hand (except the tea lights but I'll use them year round in other places).
Linking up with:
Create It Thursday
Thrifty Things Friday
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Sunday Showcase
Inspire Me Tuesday
Pin It

11 comments:

Jules said...

What a great new life you gave these little houses....not to mention the perfect location!!!!! And the timers on "Candles" has got to be one of the best inventions!

Katie said...

I love how you changed up the houses, the glitter on them is awesome!

And those candles - with timers!!! That is amazing! I was thinking, oh no, how is she going to get up there to light them and blow them out all the time, but you have a perfect solution!

Katie said...

Ummm... I'm not sure if my comment just posted or not! My computer is being silly!

So, if it did, this is a bit redundant, but if it didn't...I totally love what you did with the houses + glitter! And I really love those tea lights. The timer on the tea light is such a great idea!

Tamar SB said...

How cute is that!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Oh timed tea lights! Fabulous!

I hope you are enjoying this holiday season.

camp and cottage living said...

I never would have thought of doing this, Heather.
So cute, especially with that wee Polar Bear!
Looks like Mr. Moose is busy relaxing and watching Christmas specials.

Bliss said...

Excellent upcycle. They turned out cute and everyone who sees this will be on the hunt for little houses to "Christmasize" next year.

Becky said...

WHAT battery operated tea lights with timers???!!! This looks gorgeous! I love to reuse, recycle, upcycle items like this from around the house. So smart Heather :)

Diana Petrillo said...

Love the houses! I especially enjoy the house and bear in the fish bowl. I just picked a bowl up for $1 and have been waiting for inspiration, which you promptly provided:) Never heard of tea lights with timers--I gotta get some--Happy Christmas and many blessings

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are just adorable!! What a new life you have given them. If I see some in my thrifting ventures I would buy to make over after seeing your post! Thanks for linking to TTF! I'll be featuring you on my Facebook page soon!

Linda

Barbara F. said...

These are adorable! Linda sent me over from TTF. xo

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails