Wednesday, December 11, 2013

{Get Crafty} Ornament & Yarn Ball Wreath

This year I decided to make a new wreath for the front door. I always have a fresh wreath on one door and I change up the other door's decor.
Last year's wreath (and door color!)
I've seen these yarn ball and ornament wreaths all over Pinterest and knew that was the kind I wanted to try and recreate.
I picked up everything I needed at Hobby Lobby. I used an 18 inch wire wreath form, yarn, styrofoam balls in assorted sizes, shatterproof ornaments and hot glue.
I started by wrapping the foam balls with yarn, turning the yarn every so often to cover the white completely. I tucked the ends in (no glue required).
When everything was ready I fired up the glue gun and got to work.
It helped me to do a trial layout to see how it looked first.
Then I was ready to glue it all down. I started with the larger yarn balls and then filled in with the ornaments and smaller yarn balls until the entire wreath form was covered.  I would stop and hang it up to see if I needed to fill in any spots as I went.  
Ta da!  
When I was satisfied with how it looked, it was ready to hang up on the door.  
We have a storm door so it is protected from the elements.
{We got snow!}
I love how it pops on the black door and can be seen from the street.  This was so much fun to make, I'd love to try out some other less traditional color combinations next.
Pin It

23 comments:

Tamar SB said...

Love it! So festive and crafty!

camp and cottage living said...

This years wreath is a beautiful contrast to your black door, Heather!
I painted my front door black too.

Love Of Quilts said...

It really is awesome looking on the door. Pretty front door too.

Jules said...

The wreath looks beautiful and I do love it against the black door. I have a live wreath on the door now, but it is making such a mess both inside and outside the door! I totally forgot about about my cork wreath and have to get it out as soon as I get home.

Debbiedoos said...

Cutest wreath ever Heather. I really like it.

acreativeharbor.com said...

Very creative and colorful wreathe decoration ~ beautiful for 'D' ~ thanks, carol, xxx

Cathy Kennedy said...

What a festive wreath! Your front door looks beautiful and you have snow! I like the looks of snow, but I really don't like for it to hang around for too long because that means it's COLD! I'm already screaming for spring's return. lol Thanks for stopping by!

designchic said...

I just love your wreath and it looks perfect on your door!! Great job!!

Granny-Guru said...

It's perfectly gorgeous. I love the interplay of the soft, fuzzy yarn balls and the bright, glittery balls. Thanks for sharing!

jeannettestgermain said...

Am a knitter, but I've never seen a yearn wreath:) Very cute!

Bliss said...

Darn cute, and I'm pinning it to my wreath board.

Pam - @diy Design Fanatic said...

Love it Heather! Your wreath looks great on your front door!

Becky said...

Oh I love this Heather! Fantastic job!! I can say I've never made a wreath. Can you believe that! I haven't been crafting at all! We've been working on the basement and enjoying the holiday season :)

Lmkazmierczak said...

Nicely done, nicely presented♪♫ Have a wonder filled week! http://lauriekazmierczak.com/d/

fredamans said...

That is a great idea and looks sharp on your door!

storybeader said...

it's perfect! Good thing you have a well working screen door. I need to get another or have someone fix it for me! Cheers! {:-Deb

Katie said...

This is awesome! I really love how it pops against the black (and it looks so nice with the snow!)

I'm going to pin this to try in other colors - maybe one for the winter! We don't have a winter themed wreath!

Esther Joy said...

What a unique wreath! One of my rancher friends made a barbed wire one to hang on their gate!

Karen said...

Love this wreath! I am intrigued with your recent Hobby Lobby shopping. Is there one nearby that I haven't discovered?? Inquiring minds want to know :)

Jenny said...

That wreath is a delightful way to decorate your door... And the snow makes it look even more darling!

Thanks for linking to the letter "D"!

A+

Jessica Pelasky said...

Such a neat idea! So cute!

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J! Merry Christmas!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Heather,
I really love this wreath you made! Just perfect for Christmas! TFS at Cooking and Crafting with J&J! Merry Christmas. Julie

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks Heather I featured this at our Monday Cooking and Crafting with J & J!! We hope to see you again.
Julie xo

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails