Thursday, September 12, 2013

{Recipe} Vegetarian Chili

I've made vegetarian chili before (like this White Bean Vegetarian Chili) and I make one from Miraval Spa that's more like a stew but I wanted one that was 'beefier' and more like what I've tasted in restaurants.
It's nice to have some fresh produce from the garden when making chili.
I started with chopped red and green pepper and chopped red onion.  I also cut up one jalapeno and some cherry tomatoes .
I also had some grilled corn that I saved from a previous meal. You could also roast this in the oven. Remove kernels from cob.
Saute the peppers, onions, corn, jalapeno, tomatoes and some grated carrots in olive oil until tender.
Add in some crushed garlic and cilantro (I used 2 frozen cubes).
I added one can of white kidney beans, 1 can of chili beans (both drained and rinsed), 1 can of diced tomatoes and a packet of Trader Joe's Beef-less Ground Beef  (I love this stuff!).
Mix together, breaking up the Beef-less Ground Beef and warm through.



I always add some cocoa powder to my chili (a tablespoon or two).  
I add a small can of tomato paste too.
Time for more spices.  Season to your taste. I was out of chili powder.
Add a half can of water and bring to a boil then simmer, covered for about 15 minutes.
It looked like it needed more tomatoes...
luckily I had some in the freezer.
Once it was all cooked and the flavors melded together we dug in.
We topped the chili with some grated Mexican cheese blend and fresh avocado.
This freezes well and was 'beefy' and delicious.
What's your favorite kind of chili?
Linking up with:
Catch A Glimpse
Shine On Fridays
Weekend Wonders
Friday Favorites
Remodelaholic
Sugar & Spice
What I Whipped Up Wednesday
Wicked Awesome Wednesday
Wow Us Wednesday
The Weekly Creative
Junkin' Joe
Pin It

8 comments:

Phyllis @Around the House said...

wow this recipe looks so wonderful, I cannot wait to try it our, I love all the ingredients so I know I will love it...Phyllis

Tamar SB said...

Looks delicious! I make my veggie chili in a totally different way! I'm not brave enough to use a real chili and have never tried the cocoa powder! I will have to share it some time...

Dawn said...

Mmmm!

Becky said...

This looks delicious!!! I bet that roasted corn was so yummy in there. Our temperatures finally dropped a bit here, last night, so some chilli would be perfect!

Love Of Quilts said...

I have to try this once without beef. Be it is just as good.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Cocoa powder! Oh you brilliant girl. Of course!

Have a lovely weekend.

Katie said...

This looks delicious!

And that corn looked delicious on its own too :)

Jules said...

Even though it is in the upper 90's here today, I could sure go for a bowl of this about right now! Looks delicious!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails