Monday, February 14, 2011

{What's For Dinner} White Bean Vegetarian Chili

I'm in love! When we got our new cook top and had to buy all new cookware, we splurged on this beauty!

She's from the Martha Stewart line at Macy's (a bargain compared to the other brands out there). I've used this cast iron enamel casserole almost every day.  

My latest endeavor was this white bean chili.

Start with two cans of white beans, two cans of tomatoes (Ro-tel if you like it spicy), red onion and green pepper

Some crushed garlic and cilantro.  I don't always have fresh herbs around so these are a lifesaver.

Little spice ice cubes!


Chop 1/2 an onion and the green pepper.

Saute the onion and pepper in  1 TBS of olive oil and add  1 tsp of cumin,  1 tsp of chili powder, 2 tsp of cilantro and 1 clove of crushed garlic.
Add the tomatoes and about a 3/4 cup of water.
Bring to a boil and then simmer.
I always add 1 TBS of unsweetened cocoa to my chili.

Rinse and drain the beans (I used Great Northern beans)

 Add the beans .
Simmer until lightly thickened, 8-10 minutes.
Enjoy! 
(*This was extremely spicy, next time I'd probably only use one can of Ro-tel and one can of regular diced tomatoes)
Linking up with:







Pin It

8 comments:

Life in Rehab said...

This sounds like a recipe my two vegetarians would love! And I like that it's week night quick too!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama said...

I love the color of that pot! I bet the chili was yummy too!

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

Yum! We've been eating a lot more vegetarian meals lately, so this is going to come in handy. And I think I need to try those spice ice cubes, because we are always running out of fresh cilantro.

Home Made Quilts By Granny said...

Thoses spice ice cubes are dandy...chili is looking good...almost the way I make my. Trish

Christina @ It's a Keeper said...

Hi! I host a weekly blog hop -- It's a Keeper Thursdays. I'd love for you to stop by and link up!

Thanks!
Christina @ It's a Keeper
http://www.everydaytastes.com/
http://twitter.com/itsakeeperblog
http://www.facebook.com/ItsAKeeper

AmieAnn said...

Mmmm I am getting hungry just looking at it! Love all the fresh ingredients! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink HIppo Party!

KellyH said...

Love the pot and that Chili looks so good!

iheartorganizing said...

Oooh La La! That pot is divine! And now I am hungry! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

xoxo,
Jen

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails