Thursday, May 16, 2013

{Recipe} Vegetarian Frito Pie

I made this for my Gone Girl book club last week and promised to post the recipe.
In the book, one of the main characters (Nick) gets a Chicken Frito Pie from someone. It sounded good to me but I wanted to make it vegetarian so we could all try it.  I used the recipe found here.  I liked that the first step was to "Open a bag of Fritos".
You'll need:
1 bag of Fritos (11 oz)
2 cups of sour cream ( I used Light)
2 cups of shredded Mexican cheese (I used Light -I found some in the fridge even though that's not 
what is pictured here.
Sauce Ingredients:
1 can of Pinto beans (14-15 oz), rinsed
1 cup of salsa-your choice
2 cans of Low Salt Tomato Sauce (5 oz each)
1/2 cup of water (I totally missed this)
1 can of green chilies (4 oz), undrained
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
Start by making the sauce. Rinse and drain the pinto beans.
Taking a moment here to highlight this kitchen gadget.  It's a Jar Key and I got it from the Container Store. Love it for popping open jars easily.  You can find one here.
Mix the beans, salsa, tomato sauce, chilies, water (if you remember), and dried spices together in a bowl.  Preheat oven to 350 F.
Layer half of the sauce in a baking dish. I used a 9 inch square.
Add half of the Fritos. I added less.
Layer on one cup of the sour cream in dollops then sprinkle with 1 cup of the shredded chees.
Add another layer of chips
and the rest of the sauce over that.
Then repeat with the remaining sour cream and cheese.
Bake for 35 minutes at 350 F until hot and bubbly.
I served this with additional sour cream, salsa and the leftover chips for added crunch on top.

Pin It

7 comments:

Paula Parrish said...

Yummy! I pinned your recipe, it sounds super good. I love Fritos, so Fritos with dinner sounds awesome to me. ;o)

Jules said...

This sounds and looks delicious....not to mention that I love that you made it vegetarian. I am definitely trying it! Do you think it would work with black beans?

Dawn said...

Yum!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

Pardon me while I lick my computer screen! :)

Have a gorgeous day!

Katie said...

Oh man. I have to shield the computer screen from AJ or he is going to try to eat the food from from the screen!

This looks delicious!

Splendid Little Stars said...

looks yummy!
I'll have to check out the jar key.
I'll have to checkout Gone Girl.
At my book club, the hostess serves dessert only, wine sometimes.

Splendid Little Stars said...

I pinned it and now I'm following you on Pinterest!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails