Monday, April 30, 2012

Charleston/Savannah - Day 4 {Savannah}

On day 4 of our trip, we were up early and ready to go to Savannah. We stopped at Starbucks for a quick breakfast and then we hit the road.  It's about a two hour drive between Charleston and Savannah.  We stopped along the way at this very cute country store.
 I can't remember its name but it had all sorts of samples of honey, cider and other goodies.
It was just a quick stop and then we were on our way. We were anxious to get to our next destination.
 We crossed the Talmadge bridge into Georgia and we were IN Savannah!
It didn't take long to find our hotel which was set against a cobblestone street along the Savannah River.  
We arrived at The River Street Inn late morning and our lovely room was ready!
We had a little balcony overlooking the river.

The hotel is in an old cotton factory with lots of exposed brick, high ceilings and gracious furnishings.
{view of the river from our balcony}
After unpacking and freshening up a bit we set out to find lunch.   We walked right out of the hotel onto River Street and into Huey's (it had no line and was right there).  The food was good and I got to try Fried Green Tomatoes. We also got this huge bowl of beignets "on the house".  Wow!! Amazingly good and messy!
We were ready to explore the city.  Savannah is easy to get around on foot and we never needed our car.  We decided to take a trolley tour of the city and chose Old Savannah Tours because we could buy tickets right outside of our hotel. Since it was after 2pm we could ride the trolleys for the rest of the day and all day the next day too!  We chose the on/off option where you can get on and off the trolleys at any of their specified stops. 
This is the church where the feather fell down right in front of Forrest Gump. 
(you learn this stuff on the tour)
They picked us up at our hotel and we started the tour at the Savannah Visitor Center.   The iron fencing above is called Presidents and Poets.  There is so much beautiful iron work all over the city.
This is one of Savannah's 22 squares.
The architecture and history of the city are really interesting.
Birthplace of Juliet Gordon Low(found of the Girl Scouts).



That red house is the smallest house in Savannah, just 200 square feet. I think it just sold for $200,000! We also passed The Lady & Sons and waved to Paula Deene.
We took almost the entire tour and hopped off near our hotel for a little shopping.
Another shot of the river.
Our hotel had a complimentary wine reception every night. They also had soft drinks and hors d'oeuvres.
You could sit inside or out on the wrap around porch.
We met some really nice people out on the porch.  What a wonderful first day in Savannah!
We had dinner along River Street, walked along the cobblestones and made it an early night.

two years ago...Easy Wreath Birdbath

Pin It

10 comments:

Creations By Cindy said...

Oh I love Savannah. Such a quaint town. Pictures are wonderful. I am having a hankering to go back to Savannah now!!!!Hugs and blessings, Cindy

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh I would love to visit Savannah. On my bucket list someday. Great pics and sounds like a fabulous time. Hugs, Marty

French Girl in Seattle said...

Same here. Need to go down South and leave the Seattle greys skies behind me... Thank you for the memories. Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

Mel said...

Yay! I've been reading and waiting til you arrived in Savannah. It brings back such fond memories of my visit there.

Did you make it to Tybee Island?

SarahinSC said...

Savannah is a favorite of mine too! River Street is so much fun. Last time we did a little "cruise" on a riverboat and the history of the river is pretty interesting. Thanks for bringing back some fun memories. Did you make it in to Wet Willy's? We had a girls' weekend away and had quite the time there. ;)

safire said...

I've never been to Savannah but I love looking at your pictures!

Mellodee said...

Someday before I die, I want to go to Savannah and do exactly what you did!! And maybe I could find some lovely Savannah family who would adopt me so that I could live in this beautiful town! Sigh.....

Katie said...

I love your pictures of the trip! That hotel looks fabulous, and the wine reception sounds great! I'd love to stay at a hotel like that!

Savannah is such a beautiful city. The architecture is so interesting, its very distinct! And that country store looks so cool, I love stores like that!

Mama Hen said...

This looks like so much fun! I have not been there and have to plan a trip! I love all of the pictures! You have captured so much charm and the essence of a fantastic place. I hope you are well! Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Courtney said...

I absolutely LOVE Savannah! It's been a good while since I've been there and I'd love to get back soon. Great photos - looks like you had a great time!

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails