Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Place mat to Pillow...my turn!

Come on, all the cool bloggers are doing it...making pillows out of place mats!  I wanted to try it out but had to find the right place mat.
The key to making a pillow out of a place mat, is that the place mat must be two layers thick.  I found this paisley cutie at Pier 1.


The colors, pattern and price were right (red sticker=on sale). I liked the pom-pom trim too.


When I checked out, the price was even lower. It was $2.73. {Happy Dance!}

I flipped it over and used a seam ripper to open up the place mat. I only opened it enough to be able to get my hand inside.

I stuffed it with Poly Fil that I had leftover from our sock monkey project.  Once it was stuffed to my liking, I sewed it back up and I had a pillow!  A very inexpensive, but lovely pillow (why are pillows so expensive anyway?) that was completed in about 10 minutes. Instant gratification!
This is where I sit and blog most of the time.
Have you jumped on the place mat to pillow bandwagon yet? I know I'll never look at place mats the same way ever again!




UndertheTableandDreaming
Sumo Sweet Stuff
Pin It

15 comments:

Mel said...

Very pretty fabric Heather. I agree, pillows cost way too much.

I've done this a few times and love it because it's quick and easy. My black sequin cushions are made with a single layer placemat on one side, with the sequined top cut up for the other side. So, yes, you can use single layer placemats too :)

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Mel! I hadn't thought of that option. Good to know!

Life in Rehab said...

Yep, I have them all over the place! I love that fabric, and the pom poms are cute. LOVE the price.

Lynda Schultz said...

Thank you for sharing this. I will have to try it. My son wants one too.

Samantha said...

such an awesome idea!!!! i can't wait to do this!!!

Mariliz said...

I love that..I can't wait to make one. I love pillows and that is just too easy! Thanks for sharing.

Jules said...

I love this! I think I can even do this.

Debbie said...

And you my dear are very good at that! Love those place mats.....their actually pillows cost way too much.

Tish said...

I think I can, I think I can, I think I could possibly do this too! Such a cute idea!!

Following you from Wordless Wed.

http://mymommyquacks.blogspot.com

Jayda said...

http://twochildrenandamigraine.blogspot.com

NEW FOLLOWER FROM WW


LOVE the pillow and the print

Marissa said...

hey! cute pillows :) Thanks for stopping by my workout blog and following! I already follow your blog through my family blog!

have a great wednesday!

Kristin said...

Brilliant!! I'm your newest follower from WW!

Kristin :)
Keenly Kristin

Emy said...

I just found out about the whole place-mat to pillow trend, so thanks for sharing!

I'm a new follower from the Welcome Wednesday blog hop. Hope you'll stop by my blog when you get a chance.

http://alwaysaroundboys.blogspot.com

harts said...

New follower from Welcome Wednesday!

Please stop by me

http://mommysmoneysavingobsession.blogspot.com/2010/09/welcome-wednesday-blog-hop.html

Anonymous said...

Thats really very nice blog, I am impressed.i like it this blog keep it up thanks for post: )
I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites website list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think.
really informative Post in this blog i like to read and recommend all my friend to read this blog thanks for share zt-180watch phone zenithinkgpad

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails