Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Fall Mantel Party

My fall mantel started out looking pretty much like my mantel does every day of the year. I added the fall garland to brighten it up a little when I started pulling out my fall decor.

Later I added this thrift store urn that I had spray painted black and stuck a ball candle in it. I guess it was too much because later that night we heard a crash and the mirror, garland and urn had all fallen off the mantel.  The urn did not survive but luckily everything else did.  The frame fell off of the mirror but the glass didn't break and we were able to get it back together.  What is it with me and breaking things?

I started pulling out more of my fall decor and also became inspired by a lot of the creamy autumnal white tabletops I was seeing. After spray painting a few more Goodwill finds heirloom white, I tried this combination.   I was able to hang the garland below the mantel with some handy dandy brick hangers and this freed up the mantel for more 'stuff'.

I still wasn't loving it and then a little inspiration came to me. I had another mirror that might look better with the creamy, natural vibe I was trying to go with.
My living room mirror (from Southern Living)!
So a quick swap out of mirrors..and...

Viola!
I was liking it a lot better!

Now I think all of the textures and colors complement each other. I wrapped some of the flameless candles in burlap and also set my twine bottle up there for color and texture.

The two pedestals were my recent Goodwill acquisitions that I painted heirloom white.

And here is my newest cloche with the chippy PB pedestal.

Everything else was 'shopped' for from the house or a thrift store find, except the wheat stalks, I just picked them up at the grocery store.
So I'm done for now..what do you think?

ps. the black mirror fell again last night and did not break or come apart at all (just woke us up out of a dead sleep...AGAIN).
Do you think it's a bad luck mirror or a lucky mirror and I'm the problem?
Linking up with:


Pin It

30 comments:

A Mother...Again said...

I love the new look - especially against the pretty brick, the autumnal white just pops!

Chelsea said...

Ohh, I LOVE the white! It just pops against the bricks - it's lovely! Makes me wish our mantel was a little deeper so I could decorate it a little more. :) Thank goodness your mirror didn't break - although since it fell again maybe it IS a bad luck mirror...

~Chelsea

Seams Inspired said...

I'm thinking it's beautiful! When can you come to my house and fix up my mantel? :o)

Tanyia said...

very pretty, classy and clean looking with the color scheme so neutral!

Tys said...

Wow two very nice mantels, both completely opposite of each other! Proof of how accessorizing things truly makes a huge difference! I am partial to your final one in white and such... it's very serene yet cozy!

Samantha said...

I am loving the white decorations! What a great way to decorate for fall without making your room full of dark colors! Love your mantel display!

Life in Rehab said...

You know I love fall white. I think that looks wonderfully fresh, and I love all the textures you chose. The mirror switch out was like a smear of icing.

Carol said...

I just found you on Wordless Wednesday and love your blog. I see you like to decorate, I do too. Now I'm following you.

Carol-the gardener

Julie Harward said...

I think it is so beautiful... great job! Now you can just sit back and ENJOY it all :D

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love your cream and neutral mantel. It is absolutely stunning. YOu have done such a great job with all of the different candles, textures and the pedestals. Love the lighter color mirror too. Really pretty. Hugs, Marty

Debbie said...

It looks wonderful Heather...love the after. My before and after party is going on too now, if you would like:)

Lindalou said...

It looks great. I love al the autumn white and the mirror change really made a big difference. I'm starting to feel a little inspired.

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

Very cute mantel. I did my fall mantel a week or so ago. I took photos but have not posted them. Maybe later on today. I will let you know when I post.
Happy Fall!
~Naila Moon

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...

Love all the whites/neutrals....I'm going to start collecting more of those colors for my fall decor. You did a great job arranging it all for visual interest. Really like that SL mirror too :)

Happy Fall!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Heather, I love your nice full mantle decor. Love the layers and all the white.

Becca said...

Beautiful, Heather. I love all of the white pumpkins ... very classy! Thanks for sharing, *Becca*

Marissa said...

love those white pumpkins :) Happy Fall!

katskraps4kids said...

Beautiful! The wheat caught my eye- very clever! I think it looks so great & I like the lighter mirror better too.

Love your blog- I'm your newest foloower. =)

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Very earthy yet fresh and modern all at once, great job!

Rene said...

Oh my gosh! How did the mirror not break!? Sorry that happened, but your mantle looks great now. We have had similar things happen with the Christmas tree in the middle of the night, sigh.

Thanks for joining the party!

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

A little late stopping by from debbiedoos! I like how you did this with a layered look. Turned out great and lovely for fall!

Charla said...

L.O.V.E !!
Especially the pumpkins in the cloche, my favorite!

the cape on the corner said...

that is such a refreshing fall mantle. looks great!

Amanda @ Heart Tree Home said...

I love your white mantlescape! Looks like a classy take on autumn decor...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Jen@eighteen25 said...

oh wow!! it's so pretty! i love both of those mirrors. i'll have to read back to find out the whole story of the black mirror falling... more than once?? :)
thanks for sharing!

The Soladay Family said...

It's amazing the difference the white additions made! Looks great!

Rebecca said...

Glad I'm not the only one that breaks things-your mantle looks great-love how you showed us all the changes you made!

Cheryl~ZanyMayd said...

You have designed the perfect mantel.... Love all the white, I must find myself a white pumpkin, everyone seems to have them, yet I have never found where to buy....

Heaven's Walk - said...

Right up my alley, Heather! I don't get into all the orange fall decor. The white is sooo refreshing, yet warm! I'm in love with your chippy PB pedestal, too! Great job! :)

xoxo laurie

Samantha said...

haha those gosh darn mirrors! wreaking all kinds of havok.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails