Saturday, August 14, 2010

{Getting Crafty} Sock Monkey

One of our summer goals was to make sock monkeys. I'm not that great on the sewing machine but it looked relatively easy for a couple of novices like us.
We started out with these Original Rockford Red Heel socks that I ordered on line.  The directions to make sock monkeys were on the inside of the packaging as well as on this website.
I also picked up some Poly-Fil to stuff the monkeys.
You need one pair of socks per monkey.
Turn the socks inside out. We started by machine sewing the body by making a seam on both sides of the center of the sock starting three inches from the white heel, curving across the end at the top.
Cut the sock between the seams to within 1 1/2 inches of the white heel.
Turn the sock right side out and use the crotch opening to stuff the head, body and legs with Poly-Fil.
We used a knitting needle to help turn out the legs.
Filling with stuffing.
She wanted to add a little heart inside so she cut this one out of some felt.
Hand stitch to close.
The second sock forms the arms, ears, tail and mouth.
For the arms cut the upper part of the sock into two pieces after sewing the seam.
Again we used the knitting needle to turn them right side out.  They were stuffed and hand sewn on to the body.
Cut the heel of the second sock to make the mouth. Fasten it on to the head and fill with stuffing, then hand stitch to close.

The ears are cut from the sole of the sock. We stitched them together with wrong sides together, leaving an opening, then turned them right side out and stuffed them and attached to the head.
The tail is cut from the front of the sock. I machine stitched this because it seemed quicker.
The tail gets stuffed and hand-sewn on.
Sew on some button eyes.
Put on a cute outfit and we're done our first sock monkey!
We're ready to try our hand at some more sock monkeys to add to the family.
Blogger Templates









Black Kats Design

UndertheTableandDreaming







Photobucket



Pin It

16 comments:

Rachelle said...

Aww! I love it! I collect sock monkeys! If I were better at the sewing machine I'd give it a try! Looks easy!! :)

Great job, Heather
xo
Rachelle

Eve said...

So cute, I love putting a heart inside - so thoughtful :D

I always wondered how it's done. Thanks for this!

Teresa @ ♥ TOO MANY HEARTBEATS ♥ said...

Those are TOO cute! I love the little outfit, too. I wish I could sew. I can't even sew on a button. :0(

Have a great weekend!

Teresa <><

gnee @ Singing With Birds said...

I so appreciate your tutorial. Do you think I can whip up 15 for Christmas? They would be so cute on the tree and all of my grands are bringing their parents to gnee's house this December! Another question, did you make the outfit? If purchased, what size? Thanks so much. I always enjoy my visits here!

Heather@myeverydaygraces said...

very cute... now, how about a trunk monkey:)

ourlifeinaclick.blogspot.com said...

Thanks Everybody!

@Rachelle, I'm sure you could make one. I have very limited sewing skills! You too Teresa!!

@ Eve..glad we could show you how.

@gnee I definitely think you could whip up 15 by Christmas. We used American Girl Doll clothes meant for an 18" doll and they had to be rolled up a bit for the monkey.

@Heather, you got me..what's a trunk monkey?

Sassy Sites! said...

so stinkin' cute!!! It looks like it came straight from a boutique! :) I love it!

Sassy Sites! said...

OH... and I featured you today over at Sassy Sites! Come by and check it out! :)

Petie said...

Love these! I had one as a little girl...thanks for bringing back the memories :)

Hollywood Chic said...

So cute!!!!

New follower from Lucas's Journey. I am getting started as a terminal blogger and would appreciate if you could follow, if you have the time.

Amanda
http://hollywoodglamorous.blogspot.com

Life in Rehab said...

The mascot for my son's movie production company is a sock monkey...I HAVE to pass this on to him!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

He is a real "CUTIE PIE"...all the young mothers are lovin these little fellows and so am I! Come by for my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY...you have been FEATURED!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Chelsea said...

Aww, I love sock monkeys! I always wondered how they were made. Enjoy your monkeys! :)

~Chelsea

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

Sew (ha) cute! I never knew how to make them before, so thanks for showing the process.

Thanks for linking up to the “Cheap Thrills Thursday” party at Black Kats Design. I hope you had fun and will join in again next Thursday!

Kat

www.BlackKatsDesign.blogspot.com

The Autocrat: Haley said...

Love it!! Each sock monkey has it's own personality because each face is different. Thank for you nice comment on my sock monkey t-shirt. Yeah, my mom made me a sock monkey, and it took her kinda of a long time. Not really hard, but tedious. Yours look fabulous!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Heather - I love it! Sock monkeys are so classic - I have to try making my own! I have featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! Thanks for linking to The Sunday Showcase. ~ Stephanie Lynn

http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/08/three-scoops-of-love-winner-last-weeks.html

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails