Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fan-tastic


Another thing we hadn't gotten around to in the "new" house was adding ceiling fans. We had them in our last house and even installed them ourselves. We replaced one and added two others where overhead lighting had been. They really kept the house cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.  It was nice not having to use table fans too and I loved having overhead lighting at the flip of a switch.
Since we had no ceiling light fixtures in the upstairs rooms here, we knew we needed a professional. Cutting holes in our ceiling and pulling wire from an unfinished attic are out of our realm of DIY'ing.  While the electrician was at it, we asked him to install an attic fan as well. Our upstairs feels felt a lot hotter than the main floor and we were hoping this would help (it has). 

Here's the master bedroom BEFORE and AFTER.

We have not turned it off since it was installed.  We also have dimmers on the lights which give a nice ambiance.

In the girls' rooms we went for basic white fans.  This solved a big problem in my teen's room. We were able to move the floor lamp out, giving her more visual and literal space.  The room is 90% complete and I hope to post the big reveal soon.

Here is my other daughter's room, you can see how we updated it here.
And here's the addition of the ceiling fan.

Here's another example of small changes that have made a big impact in our everyday lives.
 What's your opinion on ceiling fans do you love, hate or tolerate them?
Blogger Templates
Linking up with:


New Friend Fridays
Pin It

13 comments:

Young and Crafty said...

I don't know that I could live without my ceiling fan! I recently made the one in our master bedroom a lot cuter!

http://youngancrafty.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-mod-podge-ceiling-fan.html

Hannah

I'm His Kid said...

Ceiling fans are the greatest. Your new home is absolutely beautiful.

Julie Harward said...

I think I tolerate them...but when it's hot, they are great! :D

Trudy Callan said...

Hi. I'm popping over from Never Growing Old. You have a lovely blog. I am a sewing and fashion diva and a mixed media artist with two blogs respectively. Come by and look around if you would like to see my creations.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Maxabella said...

Living in Australia, I'd love to have ceiling fans. I'm particularly a fan (no pun intended!) of ceiling fans outside on verandahs. What a great concept for keeping cool. x

Chelsea said...

I LOVE ceiling fans! They're a pain to dust, but you really can't beat the comfort and money-saving factors. :)

Those new fans look fab!
~Chelsea

TheChickenista said...

.•..¸.•*¨Hopping in From Friday Blog Hops!  Im your newest follower¨¸.•..¸.•*¨  I hope you can hop over and visit soon!¸.•..¸.•*¨Reviews &Giveaways by TheChickenista and TheChickenista
¸.•..¸.•*¨Off to the next great blog!¸.•..¸.•*¨

Happy Friday!
Peace, Love and Much Respect! (✿◠‿◠)

~Veronica

Life in Rehab said...

We have 10, and I love them, period.

I seriously have a crush on the one in your bedroom.

Samantha said...

I so wish i wasn't one of those people who needs a fan to sleep bc i love the look of chandeliers in bedrooms. however, i'm unwilling to have freestanding fans and freestanding lights so fan it is! thankfully they make really nice looking fans these days.

Mama Hen said...

That was a great idea. We had ours on the whole summer. Thank you for your comment. I really appreciate it! Little Chick feels better. Have a great night!

Mama Hen

Naila Moon of the Grey Wolf said...

I totally heart our ceiling fan in our bedroom. I wish we had more!
Love the photos.
~Naila Moon

http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/spreading-love-follow-up.html

Auntie E said...

I know how attic fans can help. we just had a solar one installed and it really has made a difference. We also have ceiling fan in every room. Use them year round.

Discount ceiling fans said...

In the era of load shedding, we use hand made fans rather using ceiling fans.
I often think about the ancient times when people had nothing like that how they dwell?

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails