Tuesday, November 15, 2016

{Getting Organized} Food Storage Containers

The dreaded food storage container area of my cabinet was driving me crazy.  It was always a mess and we could never find the right lid for the container we were using.  It was all very frustrating!
I was inspired again by Kathryn at Do It On a Dime to get this area organized once and for all. She suggested pull out drawers and I looked for some solutions online but the cabinet we use for the containers is very narrow and I wasn't finding much.  
I do have pull out shelves though and they can serve the same purpose.  I emptied the contents of the cabinet, finding new homes for some of the items stored in there and getting rid of things we no longer use.
Kathryn suggests these steps for taming the food storage clutter:
1) Go through your containers and only keep what you use.  They seem to multiply. Also make sure you have a lid for every container.  I had some lids with no matching container and vice versa.
2) Try and keep only containers that nest within each other to save space. I can see everything that have in one place.
3) Upgrade to glass when possible (still working on this).  Plastic containers are good for school lunches so I'm keeping my set from Ikea which takes up very little footprint.
4)Keep the lids in their own pull-out drawer.  If you don't have a drawer, a Dollar Tree dish pan can do the trick. I had a whole stash of these from this tween spa party, way back when.
The dishpan easily slides in and out of the lower part of the cabinet.  I can also bring up to the counter when I'm packing food up after a meal. It is so convenient.  This zero-cost update/project has made my food storage life so much easier!

Other Organizing Posts:

Let's keep in touch!

Pin It

9 comments:

Tamar SB said...

We SO think alike!! My mom cannot get how my tupperware dishes are in a high cabinet and the lids neatly placed in a basket down below. But it's NEAT!!!

Summer said...

Nice tips ♥

Jessica @ Barefoot by the Sea said...

I need to do this - you're my inspiration! Love the new look!

Carla from The River said...

Hi,
I am also slowing changing over to glass. I really like using glass so much better.
My husband is using glass to take his lunch in as well.

Thank you for sharing your organizing ideas, they have helped me. :-)

Creations By Cindy said...

I buy plastic containers and my daughters seem to tote them off with food stashed in them from my house! LOL! Hugs and blessings and Happy Thanksgiving Dear Heather.
Cindy

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Thanks for sharing these tips on organizing containers at C&C with J&J this week Heather!! :)

laura@notatrophywife.com said...

Timely! laura

Jessica Pelasky said...

Yes! Great ideas!

I would love for you to share this with my Facebook Group for recipes, crafts, tips, and tricks: https://www.facebook.com/groups/pluckyrecipescraftstips/

Thanks for joining Cooking and Crafting with J & J!

Bliss said...

I just recently put my lids in a bin where I could get at them and they didn't fall all over. But I got rid of a bunch too. I use plastics to send foods home with my kids.

Link Within

Related Posts with Thumbnails